Rushing: Give It A Second Chance

Rushing: Give It A Second Chance

138
Rushing: Give It A Second Chance

Flashback to your first semester in college. You are in your dorm room, staring at the ceiling, anxiously waiting for that phone call. No, not from your mom or a lucky someone you went out with last week. You're waiting for the rush committee of your favorite fraternity to call you back after a long and tiring rush week. Unfortunately, they don't call you back. In fact, no one does.

So many of us have been there. We feel frustrated, confused and just downright crappy. But fret not, fellow rushee, there is hope!  

First things first, take a deep breath. Done? Okay, good. Now, take a quick look back at your week of rushing. What did you learn? What did you want to learn? Did you only rush one Greek house (I hope not)? Was there a specific house you wanted to rush? Take some time to answer these questions. 

The beauty about rushing is that you can do it more than once. From what I've learned, rushing is a process and takes practice. It takes some serious time and effort to find the right fit and it is important to put in the effort because this is a commitment that you make for the rest of your life. When you do find the right one, you will know. 

Let me tell you my story of rushing. It was fall of 2013 and I had just started college as a freshman. Like many others, I was nervous and intimidated. There were so many new experiences and sensations to be had and I knew I had to add Greek life as one more thing on my list. Interestingly enough, I was never really interested in fraternities before college. I had family members who joined fraternities and sororities, but I never gave it much thought. I decided to try it, anyway. I went through the process and set my sights on only two or three of the 13 fraternities on campus. I should have looked at more. I got called back to one of my choices, but I decided that I was no longer interested. I ended the first semester with nothing. 

Second semester came around and I was very hesitant about rushing for a second time. Many of my new college friends gave up on the idea and I was wrestling with whether I would join them. But then I thought, "why not give it one more try?" If I don't get in, I'll never rush again. Do or die. The process repeated the same as last time.

I found myself in the same position as I had the previous semester. Luckily however, something caught my eye -- a fraternity I had heard about, but never really given a thought to. I walked into their room where they were stationed for rushing and struck up a conversation. That was one of the best decisions in my life; I didn't walk out of rush with nothing this time around. I now had brothers to share my college experience with. Flash forward three months into the future and I find myself becoming an official member of the fraternity. I could not have been happier. 

Friends, if you are looking for a takeaway, let it be this. 

First, remember this is your choice. As Steve Jobs once said, "Don't be trapped by the dogma -- which is living with the results of other people's thinking." Make the decisions based on what you want. And if you find yourself not liking any of the choices after the second run, don't settle. So what? At least you tried again and now you know.

Second, don't give up after being rejected by a fraternity or sorority you really liked. They missed out on picking up someone great. Keep looking, even if that means looking at every single one of them. 

And lastly, have fun. Not getting the house you wanted is not the end of the world. Being in a fraternity or sorority is supposed to be fun! You meet tons of people you might have never met and you learn more life lessons during that one week than any other single week in your life. Also, did I mention this is college? The best four (sometimes five) years of your life? Do it lightheartedly, and with a smile on your face. Who knows? Maybe this second chance is just what you needed.