Why You Should Rush A Sorority In College

You Should Rush A Sorority In College, You'll Be Joining A Family

If you follow your heart throughout the rush process, it will lead you home on bid day.

174

To all those considering committing themselves to the process of rush week this upcoming fall, trust me - it is a decision you will not regret. Although the concept of rushing a sorority may seem both intimidating and overwhelming at times, the benefits you reap will outweigh the levels of stress that follow alongside it. Do not be alarmed by the unfamiliar faces you see and the hair-raising chants you do not know the words to. Soon enough, the unfamiliar faces will become some of your dearest friends, and as far as the chants go? You're likely to learn at least one of them before you graduate college.

As an incoming freshman who knew absolutely nothing about what Greek life may have to offer me, I hesitantly took the plunge and decided to sign myself up for formal rush. I was scared of knowing no one and extremely worried that I would accidentally break the rules by speaking of one of the five "B's" that have been exiled from the process. My nerves were at an all-time high and had convinced myself it would be best to simply watch and follow along with what everyone else was doing - that is, until I walked into Delta Gamma's conference room.

After seeing a multitude of young women and gaining the courage to sit down and converse with them, I speak the truth when I say that I had never felt more at home with people that I had just met.

I was eager to return to their rounds each day and was ecstatic to find that they invited me to participate in their final round. It was at this preference round that I felt closest to this brand new group of girls and knew that I wanted to spend my college days with their company by my side. Although bid day has come and gone, that same feeling of excitement surrounds the events we participate in and the nights spent out together. It is a lasting feeling of fulfillment and companionship, which I believe every person deserves to experience.

With regards to those who have yet to endure this experience, my best advice is to remain open-minded throughout the entirety of the process. You will meet many different women and hear a variety of compelling stories along the way, but if you follow your heart, it will be sure to lead you home.