I Hated It Before But Now Running Is Something I Crave

I Almost Passed Out After Running One Straightaway In High School, But Now It's Something I Crave

When I took my first steps I knew it was the beginning of something truly special.

186
Cristian Alvarez

If you told me as a kid that one day I would be a runner, I would've called you crazy. Growing up, I admired many sports but running was not one of them. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that running was something people did for fun.

Most of my life I played basketball, but things changed when I started high school. I reached a point where I simply wasn't good enough to be on the varsity team. I kept trying out only to be one of the names that didn't make the final cut. It felt like I was no longer placing myself in the best position to succeed. I knew something had to change.

That's when a new opportunity presented itself. My physical education teacher mentioned that the high school track and field team was looking to fill up some roster spots. I'd be guaranteed a spot on the team along with being able to participate in the track meets. So I seized this new opportunity and went into track and field open-minded.

At first, I was unsure of where I'd be a perfect fit on the team. I had the luxury of choosing which area of track and field I wanted to be part of. I could be a sprinter, long-jumper, high-jumper, hurdler, disk thrower or distance runner. That's one of the great things about track—it's such a diverse team of athletes.

The only times I've ever run before were to meet physical education standards in school or when my life on the line. The summer prior to starting high school I tried getting into running and failed miserably. As embarrassing as it is, I still remember how I couldn't finish one straightaway on the track.

After trying out every area of the track, I ended up choosing distance running. What the heck was I getting myself into? I met the coach and my new teammates. We were just a few days away from the first practice of the season, and I was nervous.

I'll never forget that first day of the practice. If you took me to the training ground today I'd be able to replicate it step by step. I can still picture and feel how exhausted I was on that day. I was out of breath, my legs were heavy and sweat was all over the place.

For the next three to four days, I was extremely sore. I could barely walk and nearly had the urge to grab myself a wheelchair. I questioned whether running was the right for me. However, if there's one thing life has ever taught me it's to never give up. I've come too far just to drop something again. So I laced up and kept going to practice.

After getting conditioned to run, things started to get easier. I saw myself improve vastly. I could run one, two, three miles and so on without stopping. Suddenly it felt like a switch flipped in my head. I was seeing things in a different light.

There was this sensational feeling inside me I never felt before. It's hard to put into words. You just get this drive throughout your body that kicks in. The world around you tunes out. It feels like you've entered a new dimension of your brain. You start fighting a battle between yourself and your mind. You hear and feel the sensitivity of your lungs, footsteps and breathing all at once.

That's when running to me became special. I liked the feeling and craved it day in and day out. Training became part of my daily routine and races were fun. Choosing to be on the track and field team was one of the best decisions ever.

Now nine years into my career, running is an important aspect of my life. I joke about how if you looked into my DNA running would be part of it. Every single day I get to run is a blessing. The sport has truly opened up my world. I would say running for me is just as important as brushing my teeth or taking a shower by the end of the day.

One of the things I love about running the most is how it's a sport that reflects on you. Amazing athletes like LeBron James, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Tom Brady have their individual talent overshadowed by participating in a team sport. I enjoy sports where no one questions an athlete's accomplishments and greatness. I'm talking about the kind of sports where individuals shine out and cater to the world. Athletes like Usain Bolt, Lindsey Vonn, Michael Phelps, Roger Federer and so many more. I like how running brings out the best possible version of yourself.

Probably my biggest running idols growing up were Mo Farah and Eliud Kipchoge. Those guys are such amazing runners. The way they have dominated the sport is incredible to spectate. Even when you think someone at their age shouldn't be breaking records, they prove everyone wrong. It's guys like them that push me so that maybe one day I might get a taste of their success.

It doesn't matter the time, place or weather condition to run. You can do it all day and every day. Running is a natural human motion and I truly feel like everyone can part of it. If you take care of your body you can end up running for most of your life. It doesn't require any special skills or Godsend talent. All you need to bring is plenty of heart and a determined mindset.

At this point in my running career, I feel like I've been through quite a bit. The miles have tallied up and in the foreseeable future, I see myself escalating to new heights. It's wild to look back and reflect on what I've endured all these years. Never in a million years did I think running would become an active part of my life.

I'm excited to go the distance and see where this journey takes me. Sure I have goals in mind but no true end point. I'm just soaking up the opportunities as they present themselves. There is a lot of running left to do, so I just take one day at a time.

When I run I am living freely. When I am free, it means I have no limits in this life.