Five Simple Running Tips

Five Simple Running Tips

Here for when you hit the wall.

1
Five Simple Running Tips

All runners understand that running is a lifestyle. You wouldn't trade your shiny medals or race bibs for the world. You don't mind getting up before the crack of dawn to squeeze a run in before you start the day. You do it because you love it. However, as much as you love running, there are some runs where we all hit the wall. Your legs feel like bricks and you can't seem to get enough air. All you do it keep checking your watch every five seconds and there is a little voice inside your head just telling you to just walk. Before you cave to that little voice, take a look at the advice below.

Here are five simple tips to keep you going when you hit the wall:

1. Play some music.

Take your phone and blast some pump-up tunes. Try not to look at your watch until you listen to at least three songs.

2. Focusing on breathing.

My coach once told me to focus on my breathing pattern when my mental focus went out the door. Inhale for two breaths and exhale for two breaths. I repeat the mantra "in in out out" as I inhale and exhale the breaths. It helps take your mind off the discomfort and will help you fall into a more efficient pace.

3. Smile

In my Freshman year of college, my Coach had us do strides while we were smiling. I thought he was crazy, but it helps relax the body and again help with efficiency.

4. Focus on your form.

There are times when I am only on mile 6 of a 10 mile run where I just feel completely exhausted and done. My form feels out of wack and I just want to call it a day. One trick that helps me persevere through the last four miles is focusing on my form for a half mile at a time. I will focus on my arm swing for a half of a mile, and then switch to focusing on keep my head level for half a mile. I continue to find a new part of my form to focus on until I suddenly hit ten miles.

5. Pay attention to landmarks.

Find a big tree on your right and act as if you only have to make it to that tree. As soon as you hit that tree, find a yellow mailbox on your left and then tell yourself you only have to make it to that mailbox. Keep doing this until you run all the miles you had in mind or finish the time you wanted to run for.

Running is never easy. Yet, the things in life worth doing are never easy. Sometimes you have to find a way to knock down that wall.

Happy running!

From Your Site Articles