Rules Of Rush Week

Rules Of Rush Week

55
Rules Of Rush Week

It's here. Resumes and recommendation letters are rolling in by the dozens. The future potential members have graduated high school, they are researching what to wear and being invited on lunch dates by current sorority members. The ball is rolling.

Every person has their own set of expectations concerning what Rush Week will be like. Some are nervous; some excited. Some have heard that if you remove your shoes within particular sororities' chapter rooms, you are immediately blacklisted. This is false. Some have heard that you are immediately judged based on whether your hair is up or down. This is also false. Others have heard that upon submitting your resume to Panhellenic, you are aggressively stalked via social media throughout the entire summer. This is absolutely true. 

What I did not realize is that older girls are just as excited as you are about going through recruitment. Here are some other things I did not realize about Rush Week.

1. The girls in your Pi Chi group will become some of your closest friends, if you are not too stressed about the week to show your personality. These girls are your lifeline for that first week away from home. You will share practically every meal for a straight six days, as well as your first highs and lows of college. Open up to them so you can laugh about awkward chit chat from your first Ice Water Tea and jump for joy when you find one of them in your pledge class at the end of the week.

2. Do not feel bad about relying on your Pi Chi like a mother, because that is exactly what she applied, interviewed and trained for. They are sweet, patient girls who want to make Rush Week a joyous experience.

3. The girls inside the chapter rooms feel just as awkward as you do. So, you are trying to show off your best self to them? They are doing the same, except they are following rules and regulations and that can be nerve-racking. Show them some mercy if your conversation begins with something like, "Do you like... cheese?" 

4. There is nothing about Rush Week that you cannot laugh off. When it rains the entire week, you trip walking into your first party, or get a little too excited while talking to a girl and pour water over your shoulder, laugh. You must have a sense of humor throughout the week. 

5. Show the sorority exactly who you are. There is a niche for you on your campus. Make sure you find it by being completely yourself. Odds are, you will meet girls with the same interests who have personalities that you adore. On bid day, you will find yourself overcome with excitement and cheesing hard in pictures

.