Everyone Should Root For Andy Isabella

Everyone Should Root For Andy Isabella

A wide receiver that almost wasn't recruited for college became a second round NFL draft pick.

35
Everyone Should Root For Andy Isabella
Photo by Bob DeChiara from USA TODAY Sports

I sat next to my dad at the UGA vs UMass game just before Thanksgiving break in a mixture of anger and astonishment as one Minuteman's name continuously got announced for catches, runs, and touchdowns. The top-notch Georgia defense just couldn't seem to stop Andy Isabella. He made 15 catches, racked up 219 yards, and scored two touchdowns. He broke the record for most receptions made in Sanford Stadium.

As frustrating as it was for my dad and me as Georgia fans to watch Isabella find the holes in our defense, we couldn't help but root for the kid from a school that had a record of 13-58 over his four years put on a show. My dad being the sports fanatic he is also couldn't help but look up Isabella's statistics after the game. We found out that he was one of the top three receivers in the country, and we had never heard of him.

Just a week before the start of the 2019 NFL Draft, my dad sent me an article about Andy Isabella and his journey to the University of Massachusetts.

His dream was always to be a professional football player, but only being 5'9" made it a constant struggle for him to get the recognition he deserved. In high school, he only got the chance to be a starter because the previous starter got injured. When the recruiting season came around, no FBS school extended an offer to him except as a backup plan if another player didn't sign.

Andy Isabella almost gave up on his dream of playing football to walk-on to a track team at whatever college he ended up at, but UMass gave him an offer. He accepted it immediately, and he started a record-breaking career that earned him a title of one of the top receivers in college football.

In the 2019 NFL Draft, Andy Isabella was selected by the Cardinals in the second round.

Andy Isabella did not play for any of my teams, and I have no connections to the Cardinals. However, I will be rooting for him in the NFL, and I think everyone else should, too. He overcame the odds. He struggled to get a chance, and every time he earned one, he made sure to prove that he deserved it. He went from almost not going to college for football to being a second-round draft pick. He is the underdog proving every day why he should never have been doubted. He is proof that dreams can come true and that hard work does pay off. He is proof that being told "no" can't stop us and that the underdog with enough will can come out on top.

How can you not root for that?