Roof Safety

Roof Safety

Be safe while climbing to new heights

38
Roof Safety

I am no roof expert but I have helped my dad every once in awhile on the roof and I feel since the Christmas season is coming to a close it is important to remember to be safe while taking decorations down! My dad although did not technically fell off the roof the ladder he was standing on slid and then he fell. So due to this I thought it would be helpful to let others know the importance of roof safety! I hope that Santa knows all of these since he has done this a couple of times before now but of course in the Santa Claus movie I do not believe that Santa knows his basic roof safety. But again this is just a reminder for those who will be taking decorations down soon, or those who will just be hanging out on their roof...

1. Spotter

Have someone hold your ladder! In my family we have always been pretty good at this but sometimes my father decides that he wants to do something and does not need a spotter. Having a spotter would have alleviated the need for him to go to the emergency room and get 13 stitches. Like in Christmas with the Kranks you do not want to be stuck with trying to put Frosty up and falling off the roof!

2. Traction

Always wear shoes that have good traction! This will help with not slipping off the roof as did the Santa in the Santa Claus movie! Yet the shoes with the best traction cannot hold against the snow!

3. Weather

Make sure the weather is decent so you won't have to worry about slipping! To my father it is the most optimal time to clean the gutters when it is thunder storming. Not only is this an issue for the whole slipping thing but this poses more issues about lightning but perhaps that will be another article for another day!

4. Roof

Having a roof is helpful since this is roof safety! Although it is safer if you do not have a roof. This is only safer since there is no high place for you to fall off of the roof is necessary. Also it is important that the roof is sturdy enough to hold you and you won't come crashing. In National Lampoon's Christmas, although not a roof, he fell through the ceiling and the same rules apply! If your roof is not up to snuff let the professionals handle it!

5. Watch your step

Another step that makes sense! Please be on the look out that you do not step on a stick that sends you slipping off of the roof!

I am again no expert of roof safety but due to the encroaching time where many will be going back on the roof. You may be tired of all the holiday festivities and may not be thinking straight from all those sweets remember to stay safe! AND RAISE THE ROOF!