Roe v. Wade Revisited

Roe v. Wade Revisited

A SCOTUS decision that feels hopeful.
216

On Monday June 27, 2016, The Supreme Court of the United States, SCOTUS, struck down parts of a restrictive Texas law that could have reduced the number of abortion clinics in the state to about 10 from what was once a high of roughly 40. Guys, this is huge news! Roe v. Wade (1973) was one of the greatest steps the country took in favor of protecting a woman's right to her body and her decisions. After decades of Roe v. Wade's success, state laws have fought to break a woman's right to an abortion by making it more and more difficult.

States have continuously made laws to reduce the number of clinics in that state or to make it nearly impossible to access an abortion clinic safely. Doctors have been attacked when entering their workplace, and Planned Parenthood centers have been destroyed, bombed and ruined by pro-life radicalism. Protesters standing outside of clinics have made a woman's choice feel like a sentence to hell -- when it's not. There have been hundreds of attempts to pass laws, bills, etc., to make abortion almost impossible.

But as these senseless, hurtful crimes have been committed to harm the rights of people seeking abortions or performing them, there have also been people supporting abortion. Amelia Bonow has begun #ShoutYourAbortion, where she spoke about hers on her Facebook; shortly after, this spiraled into a national trend where women everywhere were proudly shouting their abortions. People all over the country are fighting to keep unconstitutional, inhumane anti-abortion laws out of our government and keep abortions safe for all.

The SCOTUS's decision is a remarkable step. The striking down of this law sends waves throughout the nation, especially to the pro-choice community. There's a sense of hope that comes with it, and there are tears in the eyes of abortion activists and people who have had abortions. The refusal to accept laws that restrict the constitutional right to make decisions for one's own body is necessary. It is a necessary, visible call to all fighting against abortion.

Abortion clinics need their government to protect them, not fight against them. This is a step, but a small one at most. The fight is not close to ending, but this SCOTUS decision is a hopeful point in the long battle.