Roe v. Wade Is Overturned

Roe v. Wade Is Overturned

A Court Case of the Century

933
Roe v. Wade Is Overturned
Canva, Kelsey Jacobson

On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court ruled (7 to 2) that the “unduly restrictive state regulation of abortion is unconstitutional” (source: Britannica)

On Friday, June 22, 2022, the Supreme Court overruled the court case, and gave the states the right back to regulate abortion.

For me, I’m pro-life, but I also respect your choice in the matter as well.

While I care about life in the womb, I also care about the life that is carrying that life. I care about the lives of my neighbors. I care about the people in my town, my country, and in the world. I care about the doctors, I care about the people who can’t get pregnant but want a child, and I care about the children who are currently in foster care. I care about the people who need a home. I care about the people who don’t know where the next meal is coming from. I care about the people who give me my mail, collect my garbage, the dentists, the teachers, the accountants, and so many more.

While it’s really hard to care for some, I try every day to care about others.

The past twenty-four hours, I’ve seen people on both sides of this topic. I’ve seen people in the middle, I’ve seen people on the pro life side as well as the pro-choice. I’ve seen a lot of hate. I’ve seen a lot of celebration.

Matthew 12:25:

Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.”

I may be pro-life, but I’m also open minded. I’m friends with people who are pro-choice while I’m also friends with people who are pro-life. We talk about this all the time. We’re able to have open ended conversations about our thoughts and feelings.

We can have our differences, but still be friends at the end of the day. We listen to each other. We show each other the research that we’ve found.

Nothing good can come out of fighting. A house that is divided, can not stand. A city can not stand or a kingdom.

Also in the past couple days, I’ve heard people bring up topics like universal healthcare, paternal leave, and different resources that should be offered to parents as well as children. I’ve heard people bring up adoption and foster care too.

I’m only person, and I don’t have all the answers. I’m far from perfect. I will be the first one to admit to that

I will also say that we should be working together in unity, and not fighting as the wedge between us gets bigger and bigger.

While I care about the life in the womb, I also care about the woman who is carrying that life. That woman also has a life.

What about all the children who are currently in foster homes? What about all the children are waiting to be adopted? What about the parents who can’t afford to have someone else have their child? What about the parents who would love to adopt, but can’t because it’s too expensive.

I would love to see affordable universal healthcare. I would love to see the adoption process cheaper. I would love to see the foster care system better. I would love to see a better universal paternal leave in this country.

Do I know what we can do? No. I don’t. I wish I knew.

But!

I’m willing to work with people to come up with some great ideas and plans.

We could make so much happen if we could only work together. Find some common ground.

There is strength in numbers. We can fix the system that we’re a part of.

Roe v. Wade was overturned. Now, what are we going to do next?

Sources:

National Park Service. 2022. House Divided Speech. Lincoln Home. Https://www.Britannica.come/event/Roe-v-Wade

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. June 24, 2022. Roe v. Wade. Britannica. Https://we.naps.gov/Iiho/learn/historyculture/hous...