Rodney Anderson And The Girl Who Cried Wolf

So far, evidence suggests that all Rodney is guilty of is telling the girl he wasn't interested.

18200
Twitter | @SouthernSportsBelle

My hometown is Katy, Texas, and one of our city's treasures is Rodney Anderson. You may have heard the name. He's one of the current football legends at the University of Oklahoma.

As a lifelong Longhorn fan, it took me a few days to forgive him for his allegiance to the Sooners. Despite this wound to my heart, I remain a fan of Rodney's. My family frequents his mother's popcorn shop in town. She is disarmingly kind, despite the fame that approaches her name as Rodney prepares to be a high pick in the NFL draft.

I'm sure it came as a shock to her especially when the recent allegations were presented against her son. I'm sure she thought, "my son would never do this. He would never sexually abuse anyone." She is not alone in that sentiment. When Rodney created a Twitter to defend himself, the responses to his tweet of innocence were overwhelmingly supportive. Even his ex-girlfriend's mother came out in support of him, claiming his innocence.

The alleged victim claimed that it took talking with her friend to remember what Rodney had allegedly done to her, but between the night of the alleged rape and the day she filed for a protective order, she reached out to Rodney multiple times with invitations to social events and more.

Did I say alleged enough times?

I'm not here to victim shame. If Rodney did this, it's a horrible thing and he should be held accountable. The problem is, overwhelming evidence suggests that he did no such thing, and furthermore questions the reliability of the supposed victim. The timing seems...just too perfect. Oklahoma has a shot at the national championship, and Rodney is one of the star players on the team. If someone wanted to hit him where it hurts, now would be the time.

I hold in high regards the victims of sexual abuse who have exhibited bravery by stepping forward and holding their assailants accountable. However, when the attitudes of people shift to something like Emily Lindin's when she tweeted her disregard for the livelihoods of innocent men, we begin to develop a very big problem as a society.

Like I said, victim shaming is a problem. Stringing together a web of lies, however, in an attempt to ruin someone's reputation, is equally problematic. Men aren't all evil, and women aren't all good--that's something we need to remember.

How many girls are crying wolf? How many innocent men are ruined, or at the very least must live with tarnished reputations because of vindictive women?

Will Rodney Anderson ever live this down?

Rodney is a man who is most likely being falsely accused of an egregious crime, but the accusation alone is something people will not quickly forget. This will be in the back of everyone's mind...and what happens if he's accused again? Accusation in numbers, even if false, begin to feign truth.

Please remember that Rodney Anderson is completely and totally innocent until proven guilty. Please remember that when if he is acquitted, this should no longer even be a thought in our minds. We should wipe the slate clean, rather than subtly holding this against him in the event another allegation surfaces.

Please remember that as women, we often have to lie about having a boyfriend just so that we are not insulted/harmed when we turn down a man who is prospecting us. I am ashamed of the boyfriend lie, but it is one that I regularly go to in an attempt to preserve my safety--or at the very least, preserve myself from a verbal sparring match with a man who thinks he deserves more from me than "Thank you, but I'm not interested."

So far, evidence suggests that all Rodney is guilty of is telling the girl he wasn't interested. So, like us, I guess he should have lied. I guess he should have told her that he had a girlfriend. Maybe then, she would have left him alone.

It seems this girl cannot take no for an answer. Isn't that what we accuse men of? Shouldn't we then be defending Rodney Anderson? Protect him. Until evidence suggests otherwise, he is deserving of our preservation.

Just like Rodney, every single man deserves the benefit of the doubt until substantial evidence (read: beyond a reasonable doubt) proves him guilty. That's a basic human right. Do not listen to those crying wolf unless there is proof that their cries are valid. Do not ruin the reputations of innocent men and women human beings for the sake of any agenda or belief.

At the end of the day, every ounce of your behavior can be checked and balanced by one phrase: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

I give you my best, Rodney. Thank you for making our rice-farming city proud. Believe it or not, this Longhorn is rooting for you and the Boomer Sooners to win this one. Do it for the Big XII. Do it for Katy. Do it for the truth.