The Road Ends In Indiana For The Boston Bomber

The Boston Bomber will likely be executed in our very own backyard.

14

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was found to be one of the people behind the horrific bombing at the Boston Marathon in 2013, has been sentenced to death. Although he won't be executed for several years, even decades, he will most likely meet his end in Terre Haute, Indiana.

According to several different sources (here's one from Fox News), a federal penitentiary in Terre Haute will be the location of Tsarnaev's execution by lethal injection. The last execution carried out by the federal government was also performed here when Timothy McVeigh, sentenced in connection with the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, was pumped full of a lethal drug mixture in 2001.

As an Indiana native, I have mixed emotions about our state apparently being a hot spot for the demise of some of the world's worst criminals. On one hand, I do believe that people like Tsarnaev deserve to be punished to the utmost for such atrocity. And on the other, I have a hard time being proud that Indiana is known for its prominence in the execution industry. But, if I were to grow a third hand for sake of this analogy, being able to say that my neck of the woods is where the worst of the worst go to meet their maker is an interesting claim to fame to say the least.

Another interesting aspect of Tsarnaev's case is where he would have gone if he got life in prison instead. If he had escaped the needle, Tsarnaev would have been sent to the U.S. Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility in Colorado. This prison, known as "supermax" has been described as the "most restrictive" prison in the country. Inmates here are in solitary confinement 23 hours a day and are only allowed non-physical visits from immediate family. His cell would have been a 12 by 7-foot box with a 4-inch wide window and a slot in the door for food to be slid through. The extremely isolated conditions here have got some people saying that this facility dances on the line of cruel and unusual punishment.

If you ask me, I say cruel and unusual is just what the doctor ordered for Mr. Tsarnaev, but I don't make the laws around here. With that said, is there anyone out there who thinks the death penalty could be a bit of a cop out for this guy? In exchange for having killed 3 people, injuring hundreds and terrorizing millions, Tsarnaev will simply go to sleep and never wake up. I'd call that a sweet deal if I were in his shoes. But then again, perhaps the nation needs the closure of knowing that he's dead. So I guess I have more mixed emotions about the kind of punishment that Tsarnaev deserves: a quick and painless death or a life spent alone in a concrete shoe box.

What do you think? Find me on Twitter (@dillonhavens) and share your thoughts.