As a Peer Health Educator at SDSU, I am required to participate in various community outreach events on campus throughout the year. The most recent tabling event was with one of Well-Being & Health Promotion's partner organizations, RADD (Rockers Against Drunk Driving). The event consisted of peer health educators reaching out to students passing by and asking them to participate in our trivia game or to take an informational pamphlet.

Our trivia game was a spin-the-wheel type with questions related to drunk driving laws and general knowledge that people should be aware of when it comes to intoxicated driving. Sadly, I don't believe many people know the true dangers and risks of drunk (or high) driving. There are several life-altering things that can happen if you are driving under the influence and law enforcement gets involved. Obviously, there's a huge risk that you can physically hurt yourself, your passengers, or other people on the road. Injury can range from broken bones to death. Some may know that you will also lose driving privileges for a while, and you will probably have to spend a night in jail.

However, many people do not know that if you receive a DUI, you will most likely be automatically disqualified from many programs such as medical school, law school, any branch of the United States Armed Forces, etc. Many people also do not know that getting a DUI can cost up to $10,000 (original fines, legal fines, etc.). It can also take up to ten years to get a DUI off your record. And lastly, your BAC does not have to be over .08 to receive a DUI. Police can pull you over if you are driving strangely and it turns out your BAC is only .01. Any poor driving due to alcohol can result in a DUI.

Finally, many people do not realize that driving while high can also result in a DUI! Just because it's legal to purchase and enjoy, DOES NOT mean it is legal to drive under the influence of marijuana or any associated marijuana products! There is a .08 BAC maximum for driving under the influence of alcohol, however, there is a zero tolerance for driving under the influence of marijuana. There is no legal limit on how high you can be while driving. Any amount of marijuana can land you a DUI, even if it was from earlier in the day. Many people do not realize that the consequences for driving high are the exact same as driving drunk. You can still injure or kill people, receive a DUI, get arrested, pay thousands in legal fines, and destroy your future.

RADD is a wonderful educational program that teaches people the risks and consequences of intoxicated driving and gives incentives for designated drivers. There are ways to get involved with RADD in several areas of California, just check out their website. Also, many restaurants/bars will give discounted/free items if you tell them that you pledge to never drive intoxicated or that you are the designated driver (just mention RADD).

Intoxicated driving accidents are 100% preventable! Be a part of the solution! Go crazy and wild! Just don't get behind the wheel afterward :)