Rise up: The perseverance of the Boston celtics
Professional

How a team that had all the odds against them proved everyone that doubted them.

65

It was finally that time of year again. Obviously I'm talking to the start of the NBA season. Excitement was in the air as the players walked onto the court for this amazing day. The opening night of the NBA was supposed to feel like a celebration, but it was far from that. The Boston Celtics (my favorite team) were matched up against the notorious Cleveland Cavaliers, which is led by the king himself, LeBron James. A jolt of exhilaration rushed across my body as I remembered that the new and improved Celtics team were led by two of the powerhouses of the NBA, Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving.

As the game went underway, the two teams were going back and forth, putting up lay-ups and shooting from inside and outside the arc. It wasn't until 5 minutes and 11 seconds into the game where the momentum of the entire game and the entire Celtics team shifted. Suddenly, Gordon Hayward landed awkwardly on his left ankle, leading to one of the ugliest injures the NBA has seen. The Celtics later announced that after the assessment of the doctor, it was determined that Hayward suffered from a dislocated ankle and a fractured tibia.

The fans of the NBA, being the diverse and loving community it is, sent its best wishes and prayers to Hayward. Now comes the bigger issue at hand: what the hell are the Celtics going to do for the rest of the season? This was probably on the mind of every Celtics player and head coach Brad Stevens. I have a simple answer for this—the Celtics will persevere and fight on as they usually do!

Due to Haywards injury, there now comes the formation of a paradoxical fortuity: new opportunities arise for the Celtics bench. Players' numbers will be called and it will be the responsibility of each individual player to step up and take leadership of the team. These players include Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smartt, Jayson Tatum, and Terry "Scary Terry" Rozier.

Though I have no personal relationship with the city of Boston, I have built a loving bond for the Celtics and all that the team stands for. The motto of the Celtics became "C Us Rise." This fits perfectly with all that the Celtics have had to battle with and deal with throughout the entire season. Not only did they have to play the entire season without Hayward, they eventually lost Kyrie Irving as well. As the two set-piece players of the team is removed, gaping holes in the team's infrastructure remained.

The Celtics team united together, players stepped up, and the team ended up finishing the season up with a 55-27 win/loss record. They eventually met up with the Cavaliers in the eastern conference finals, where they took them to a game 7. Thought they could not pull out a victory and I might have been a little angry about it, but the one feeling that escaped me was disappointment. Disappointment is a feeling that I could never encounter for a team with this much heart and this much spirit. Like all Celtics fans and everyone that follows a specific team will say, "next year is our year."