Richard Linklater's 'Boyhood': A Recollection of Youth

How one film captures the essence of experiencing life.

17
Oxygen House Photography

Movies are truly a fascinating form of entertainment. The endless ways of making a film leads to numerous directions to embark upon, and the paths that a film can take are always compelling. Some films are simple endeavors that exude joy and laughter, giving us comfort in times of great struggle. A movie can also teach us about life, as it offers important lessons about society. Through careful implementation of lighting and cinematography, films can tell us about our purpose and how we became the people that we are today. A film can tap into our memories, digging up recollections of our youth and what life was like decades ago. Movies can impact us dramatically, and one movie that affected me was 'Boyhood'.

'Boyhood' was released in 2014, and it was directed by Richard Linklater. Known for films such as 'Before Sunrise' and 'Before Midnight', 'Boyhood' tracks the life of Mason as he grows from a boy to a young man. Mason faces numerous situations along the way, from moving constantly to having a relationship in high school. The film also covers Mason's relationship with his estranged father, and 'Boyhood' sees Mason living his life as the world changes. 'Boyhood' features a supporting cast that consists of Mason's family and friends, and his companions develop in their own ways.

As I watched 'Boyhood', I was reminded of my own life and the path that shaped my personality. Watching 'Boyhood' felt like a reflection of real life, as it presented normal situations that anyone could deal with in their youth. Mason's experiences with love and disappointments in his life reminded me of my own childhood and adolescence, and his interactions with his family and friends took me back to the adventures that I had with my loved ones. 'Boyhood' was so genuine in how it depicted a boy's journey through life, and I literally felt like I was reliving my youth as I watched the film. Seeing Mason's world progress over time made me think about my reactions to fads that I participated in, and I was able to reminisce over how I felt about the trends of my environment.

'Boyhood' was also filmed in a unique way. It was created over the course of more than a decade, and various aspects of the film were inspired by the personal lives of its cast and crew. 'Boyhood' was so intent on showing how the world changed along with Mason, and its production presented a new way of film making. 'Boyhood' let me see its cast and characters change over time through its filming methods, and I saw how films could depict life in all of its confusion and advancements. The sprawling nature of 'Boyhood' let the film develop in such an innocent way, and its relaxed look at the story recreated the slow pace of changing through life. 'Boyhood' proved to me that films could be a visual adventure that showed what it meant to be young , and I liked how 'Boyhood' committed itself to portraying life so honestly.

In conclusion, 'Boyhood' was truly an interesting film. The film demonstrated the talents of Richard Linklater as it went into Mason's life, and I was reminded of my own maturation in the world. Watching 'Boyhood' made much of my youth come back to me, and I was able to go through various stages of life. 'Boyhood' also proved that films could portray our evolution over time, as well as the core of living in the world. 'Boyhood' caught the essence of going through life perfectly, and it showed how films could give valuable insights into humanity.