The Revolution in Reality TV

The Revolution in Reality TV

America's Obsession With Nudity

48

Who would have thought that someone would say, “Hey, I'm going to film the lives of people doing everyday things and make a television show out of it?” 

Whoever it was must have been a genius. Between talent competition shows, survival games, food, property showcases, and following the lives of celebrities and housewives, America can't stop, won't stop. That leaves us with the newest trend in reality television: nudity.

Before we delve into the nakedness, let's refresh ourselves on the evolution of reality TV. We could go as far back as a few decades, noting shows like Cops or Survivor, but let's be real, we all know we fell in love with reality TV when we saw eight strangers picked to live in a house and party together. And we can't forget about Lauren and Stephen on Laguna Beach; these are the shows that are close to our teenage hearts.

You'd be lying if you said you never wished you were on The Real World. Come on, eight randoms at the college age from all around the country are placed in a mansion where they are forced to like or hate each other, party endlessly, and basically act like total savages for free with no repercussions (or so it seems). Sounds like a college kid's dream! 

As for Laguna Beach, who doesn't love indulging in their guilty pleasure by watching stupidly rich high school kids fight about who they should ask to prom or where their next vacation spot would be. America is addicted to drama. Besides these two generation favorites, we can't discredit some of the real OG's of reality TV: American Idol, Survivor, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, The Amazing Race, MasterChef, Dancing With the Stars, and more! It's safe to say we've put quite the stamp on reality television. 

So, when all other fresh ideas for new TV shows run out, what's the next best way to entertain the reality TV lovers of America? Producers decided to throw a primitive twist into the game, one so primitive it's practically transparent. You guessed it, nudity! 

Two noteworthy shows that have rocked our TVs recently are Naked and Afraid and Dating Naked. Naked and Afraid puts Survivor to shame as it challenges two contestants to survive twenty-one days in the wilderness without food, water and...clothes! And for what reward? Nothing! If the two nude survivalists have successfully endured the three weeks fighting brutal weather conditions, lack of nutrition, and destructive bodily effects, all they receive is an increased PSR, or “primitive survival rating.” But still, that's badass. 

But I can't forget to address the newest show, Dating Naked. This television drama on the VH1 network presents an entirely fresh twist on your typical dating game-show. Participants engage in three blind dates, meeting naked first, and deciding at the end which date they liked the best. Talk about raunchy. These two shows truly embrace the idea of letting it all hang out! 

With this blatant lack of modesty, what is it that we like so much about these reality shows anyways? After asking a few fans, I received some surprisingly comments: “I really want to live in a nudist colony after watching these shows. I think it would be an enriching experience, seriously. You know, the shows kind of promote self confidence in a way. If you can go naked on TV, you're obviously comfortable and secure with your body. I think that's cool.” 

Although not everyone would agree with the casualness of nudity on television, TV ratings on these shows have clearly proved that America doesn't mind the entertainment.