Return To The Murder House

Return To The Murder House

Five things that still bother me about season one of "American Horror Story."

252
Return To The Murder House

As season five of "American Horror Story" quickly approaches, I decided to take a trip down memory lane and re-watch my favorite "AHS" season, "Murder House," on Netflix…three times all the way through (oops.) During this sickening binge session, I was reminded of some things that still really bother me about season one of the hit show.

*WARNING: If you haven't watched "Murder House" (and I strongly suggest you do) this article contains a mountain of spoilers.*

1. Why on God’s green Earth were Violet’s parents not even the slightest bit concerned about where her body was?

I know there was a lot going on during the scene where Violet tells her dad that she’s been dead for the past few weeks, you know, with the anti-Christ being born and all. But you would think that during those few days after Vivien had died in childbirth, Ben would’ve been concerned with burying his daughter along with her mother. Instead, he lets her body continue to rot in the house’s crawlspace…cool.

2. Did no one care about the death of the exterminator?

The poor guy just goes to sort out a problem with flies and gets murdered and left in the crawlspace with Violet’s corpse. Does he not have a wife? Friends? Anyone who's concerned about where he went? I mean, the cops showed up to investigate when Ben's patient and Hayden went missing. I’m sure there was a record tracing the exterminator’s last job to the Murder House.

3. Constance’s fourth child?

She very clearly states that she had four children. I know that Ryan Murphy had planned a story line for Constance’s fourth child, who was supposed to be an albino, but then cut his character out of the show. I still wish they hadn’t left that open ended though.

4. Tate and Violet’s whole relationship.

I love Tate and Violet. They are my favorite couple in all four existing seasons of "American Horror Story," hands down. But there is something about ghost/human relationships that bother me. Tate, as a spirit, can make himself known or unknown as much as he wants. This means Tate could literally always be stalking Violet, and since he’s a tad bit of a psychopath, let’s be honest, he probably was. Personally, if I knew that my boyfriend could make himself invisible and follow me anywhere in my house, I'd never use the restroom again. That’s all.

5. How did the ghosts change clothes?

How were ghosts such as Hayden, Violet and Tate able to switch clothes every day? Violet, at least, had her full closet still in the house when she passed, but it seems safe to assume that Tate and Hayden did not have any clothes on the property. Maybe there’s a shopping mall in the afterlife.

All things aside, I adore "American Horror Story," and as I said, this is my favorite season. As a writer myself, I know that ideas don’t always transfer properly to paper, or in Ryan Murphy’s case, the screen, in a way that readers or viewers will understand. That being said, I sincerely hope I have inspired some of you to go back and watch this fantastic season. Just try not to fall into the plot holes.