A Response To The London Terror Attack of June 3rd, 2017
Politics

Hate Will Never Prevail Over Freedom.

11
Boston Herald

I'm sure when you read that headline you thought just like I did, "again?"

When does it stop? How many more? What do we do? These are all questions we find ourselves asking as these headlines become more and more common, almost to the point where it simply is the norm. But we cannot let it become so. These barbarians that are so twisted and vile to the degree that they can claim religious justification in their brutal and vicious murders of innocent men, women and children of all races and creeds deserve nothing more than swift and decisive punishment. Death is something I wish on no human, but these animals have gleefully shed themselves of the right to bear even that basic title.

Terrorism is not new, it is something that has existed from the beginning of human society. But in today's hyper connected world and the immense shift in both technology and cultural norms it has increased to a degree that has become unbearable for all good and decent people. It wears on us, makes us question our most valued morals and beliefs. We almost desire the giving up of liberties to pursue security knowing that it will be disastrous in the long run. But we are naturally frightened and angry, and rightfully so. But doing so would be giving these beasts exactly what they want, the corruption of western society, the thing they hate most.

This country prides itself on free expression, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Yet here and abroad there are people so devoid of human connection and empathy that they barricade themselves in an ideology and sacrifice their humanity at the altar of hate. They claim righteousness through religion or politics but any decent person sees through this charade and calls them out for what they are, monsters. The savages that killed the 90 in Kabul are not Muslims, and the man who stabbed the 3 other men on a bus is not a Christian. The KKK are not Christians, ISIS are not Muslims. Do not allow them to drag down legitimate religious beliefs that have been proven to be able to coexist peacefully and prosper side by side. Muslims have served in the United States army since the days of Washington and continue to do so to this day. These men and women are true Muslims, the varmint that try to kill innocent civilians are not.

We in America and other western nations are so fortunate enough to be able to wake up and go about our days without the fear of a bomb on our bus, or a shooter at our office, but these cretins are attempting to make this not the case. They want us to live in fear, they want us to hate just like they do. They are jealous of the peace and prosperity that exists among these countries, and take this anger out on us. But we hold our heads up, and defend our brothers and sisters of all faiths. All enemies of democracy make themselves known through cowardice, and are easy targets for the righteous. Respond not to these attacks with anger, but with solidarity. This doesn't mean a strongly worded tweet with an emotional hashtag, but by living your life to the best of your abilities and not allowing these pathetic excuses for animals do anything to interrupt it. Do you suppose the Imam of the local mosque in a small Pennsylvania town doesn't share the same fears that you do? He does, because he knows it is not a question of religion for these people. It is a war of ideals, the war between freedom and tyranny.

So let these brutes fester in their anger and self imposed exile, whether it be in the deserts of Syria or the backwoods of an American state. Let their hate consume them and their isolation torture them. They are ants crushed under the march of progress, which they have no hope of stalling. The brotherhood of man and the pursuit of a common good prevail over every bomb, bullet and knife that they try to use. They will be forgotten, we will not.