The Resolutions Everyone Should Have: A Response to MTV News

In spite of MTV News' slam against "white guys", it's important to have some of these important resolutions.

6
Gretchen Rubin

On Monday, December 19th, 2016, MTV News had released a video entitled "2017 Resolutions for White Guys", which tackled identity politics issues, the Black Lives Matter movement, "mansplaining", and much more. However, this video had garnered an extremely large amount of backlash online, mainly due to the incredibly condescending tone of the video and the hypocritical message of it fighting racism and sexism all the while stigmatizing and hating on an entire race and sex of people, resulting in MTV News deleting the video, though reuploads still exist. The video was justly maligned and panned by many different people, but MTV did have some good intentions in their poorly executed video, but instead of making resolutions for "white guys", I feel it's my duty to give resolutions that everyone should follow in these divided times.

1. If someone wants to talk, then listen

By learning more about another person's point of view with no objections, no interruptions, and no demonizing, you end up wiser and learn far more about the other side. You are still free to disagree with them all you want, but listening can be just as, if not more, powerful than speaking.

2. Refuse to let other people define you

Whether it be for your race, creed, sexuality, or the choices you've made, people will put you down and attack you for the things you can't control or what you feel is right. But, what is most important is for you to not listen to those terrible things and live your life without having it in the back of your mind. Keep up a strong confident stature and a great sense of self-respect to make sure that you can still be happy in spite of the nastiness being thrown at you.

3. Try to make a change in yourself

Life will always have terrible things happen to you, but things will only get worse if you do nothing to stop it. The best way to fix it is to make a positive change with yourself and the world around you through some important rules to always follow, as there are still some important rules to follow in order to have true success and to obtain true wisdom. Don't ignore; listen. Don't argue; debate. Don't demonize; understand. Anyone can do the former actions, but it takes a lot of strength to do the latter actions, and you would definitely feel better for it.