7 New Year's Resolutions College Students Can Stick To

Here are some resolutions us college kids can actually keep

We all know making a New Year’s resolution is easy, but sticking to it? Well, maybe not so easy. As we get older, though, we try to come up with more reasonable resolutions. Sometimes, however, college students tend to make a few that just don’t stick, maybe like stop procrastinating. So, maybe while that specific resolution has never really stuck with me personally, here are 7 resolutions us college students can actually keep.

7. Learn to manage your stress.

Everyone knows how stressful college can get, what with exams and papers and quizzes. However, it’s important to learn how to manage your stress in a healthy way. Obviously, one of the best ways to do this is by exercising. Whether it be doing your own routine at the gym to attending a yoga class to running or biking around campus, exercising can be a great way to get out all your pent-up anxieties. Not only does it keep you fit and healthy, but it can also be a great way to socialize by getting a group together to workout with.

6. Get organized.

Take out some stress right away by learning to organize yourself for the coming semesters. Don’t just shove papers into your backpack, purchase a trifold to keep all the important stuff for each class. Buy and write in your agenda all the time. Although your syllabus lists whenever an important paper, project, or exam pops up, they don’t always have the extra homework your professor will assign throughout the week. You can also use the agenda to write in those important dates, just in case you misplace your syllabus.

5. Plan ahead.

Even though it can be hard for everyone, the best way to avoid midterms and finals stress is by getting started on your big projects ahead of time. That doesn’t mean you have to start writing months in advance, just figure out what you want to write about or what your project will be on and maybe put together a guideline on how the paper or project will be made. That way, by the time the project/paper is supposed to be due, you have less to worry about.

4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

If ever you find yourself confused or have forgotten something pivotal to homework or a larger project, don’t be afraid to ask for help from your professor or even fellow students. The professors will certainly not bite or think lesser of you for going up to them with a question.

You’re paying to get the best education and if you need help, that’s what the professors are there for, to help you succeed! It might also be a great idea to get to know your fellow classmates and get together a study group or have a group chat to discuss any issues you might have with the class. Plus, you could make new, long-lasting friends.

3. Try putting yourself out there.

This one will especially apply to the freshmen or sophomores attending college. I know this one might seem impossible, especially if you have a crippling fear of anxiety and rejection like me. But as you get older, you’ll begin to realize just how easy it can be to put yourself out there. It might seem really scary at first, but you just have to remember that it’s college. The old ways of high school cliques and “popular girls” are far behind you now.

College is a completely different playing field and everyone has an opportunity to find themselves. Don’t get me wrong, there will still be the mean girls and the stupid jocks to stray away from, but you’ll learn how to differentiate those people from the good ones. In college, there truly is no judgment. So, in the New Year, maybe try joining a club, auditioning for that play, or just saying hello to the person on your right.

2. Find an internship.

I cannot stress enough just how important internships are. Not only do they look exceptionally good on your resume, but they also help you gain experience in your field. Even if you’re just a freshman, there’s no shame in getting ahead. Talk with your guidance counselor or professors who specialize in your major and see what’s going on. Sometimes, you can even get college credit for doing an internship for a semester. There’s no harm in getting ahead.

1. Apply for graduation.

For all my seniors out there, you’ll know what I’m talking about. Just because it’s your senior year, doesn’t mean you’re automatically going to graduate. You need to find out when is the perfect time for you to apply for graduation. If you’re planning on graduating in the spring, it’s best to apply in January and if you’re graduating in the fall, you’re most likely going to apply sometime over the summer.

Of course, it’s always best to check with your guidance counselor to discuss the best options. Applying for graduation is the first step to getting your diploma and it’s certainly a great start to a successful semester!