5 Points To My Residents As You Start Your First Year Of "Adulting"

"No matter how much I try, I am probably going to end up making our first encounter more awkward than it has to be."

28

Move-In Day is approaching. On September 1st, you are going to be packing up all of your belongings and driving off up to the hill that all Gustavus Gusties are proud to call home. You are probably really excited to be leaving home for the first time and try your hand at living on your own without your parents breathing down your neck. To be honest, you are probably a little nervous and sad too; I mean, who enjoys having to make tearful goodbyes to their pets as you leave them for the year?

Despite your excitement, I know you all are going to feel way over your heads when you start unpacking your clothes and setting up your bed lofts; I know I did. When your parents leave you, you are probably going to feel a little lonely and sad, and this is OK. This is normal. At this moment, you will realize that you are going to be without the people who have made you who you are and have always had your back since the day you were born. This is where I come in.

Hi, my name is Taylor, and I am going to be your RA (or Collegiate Fellow as Gustavus calls it) for the 2017-18 school year.

I am probably going to be one of the first people you meet when you head into section 1A to start unpacking. I am probably going to be way too hyper for that hour of the morning, and I know that no matter how much I try, I am probably going to end up making our first encounter more awkward than it has to be. Please bear with me as I zealously ask you your name and other odd facts about you; I have been wanting to meet you all since I first found out that I was going to be your RA way back in March, and sometimes my personality can make me seem like a hyper chihuahua when I am meeting people for the first time. Just know that once we get to know each other better, our encounters are going to be far less weird and hopefully enjoyable.

This year is going to be different for all of us. You all, obviously, are starting your first year of college. This year is going to be a whole lot different than the last four years you spent in high school. The classes are going to be a little more difficult, you are going to have more free time on your hands, and you are going to be living in a strange new place with so many sites to explore.

Likewise, I am starting my first year as an RA. I am going to be living through so many new experiences right along with you. Although I am going to be receiving a whole lot of training about how to be the best RA I can be for you, there are some things training just doesn’t cover, and I am excited to share those fun moments with you. We both will probably make some mistakes, but that is how we learn for the future.

While you are exploring your new lives up here on the hill, just remember that I am here to help you. I am not only here to help you get to know the people in our section through events I plan, to remind you when quiet hours start (10 pm on weeknights, just an FYI), to tell you where everything is on campus, and make your room doors look fabulous with door decorations. I am here to help you with any problems that arise; just come to my room, knock on the door, and I will give you my undivided attention.

Whether it be help with registering for classes, that math problem you can’t seem to get, or something happening in your personal life, I will more than happy to help you. I am not here to judge you, but rather I am here to find helpful solutions to whatever you are facing. I don’t know you at all yet, but I know I am going to care about you the same as I care about my family and friends; I feel sad when they are sad. I would rather that you come to me about whatever you are struggling with than just let it sit and let your feelings bottle up inside of you. Please, no matter the situation, come to me if there is an emergency; let my “mom-friend” side of me at ease by letting me know that you are safe or that there is something I need to intervene in.

Remember that I was in your place one year ago, so I will have an understanding as to what you are going through. I know that in my first year of school, I had issues with roommates, classes, and friends, and I probably have some good ideas to help you with whatever you are facing. If you don’t want any solution suggestions from me, that is fine; sometimes just ranting to someone can help you feel better, and I would be happy to have you rant at me. If you need a safe place to cry it out, come sit on my futon and I’ll make you a cup of tea. If you need it, I also tend to have chocolate in my room, and sometimes a single piece of chocolate can make your mood a whole lot better. Just know that as long as I am around, I will be always accessible to you all.

Also, please don’t be afraid of me. I know Hollywood always makes RAs seem like a bunch of cops who patrol the halls just searching for trouble, but we are all just students like you. We may seem scary when we walk briskly through the halls on duty rounds, but we are really just slightly older students with the same frets about not failing that biology test, debating whether we should binge another Netflix show, and have similar cravings of pizza at odd hours of the morning. We may have some authority over you, but all we want to do is keep you safe and help your first year of college be as fun as it can be.

To close out this letter, I have some helpful tips for you to make your year at Gustavus Adolphus College the best year it can be.

1. Do take chances.

That one girl you sit with randomly in the Caf could become your new best friend if you make the effort.

2. Don't pull all-nighters.

You won’t realize it’s a bad idea until it’s too late. Alternatively, you could go to bed early and get up early to get your work done/study.

3. Do sign up for clubs.

All Gusties tend to be over-involved, and you may find something that you are truly passionate about.

4. Don't worry about what others think of you.

It’s not high-school, and you will find your people who love you for who you are.

5. Lastly, whenever you see free Frost-Your-Owns, take one.

You can thank me later.

I can’t wait to meet you all in a few short weeks. I am sure we will have an awesome year together, and you will be proud to call Co-ed 1A your home.

Sincerely,

Your New RA