Resident Evil 7: Your Newest Nightmare

Resident Evil 7: Your Newest Nightmare

Why the newest release should be on the top of your list

13
Resident Evil 7: Your Newest Nightmare
Upload VR

*This article is completely spoiler free, save for a few minor plot details that only set the story up*

For the past few games, the Resident Evil franchise has felt a bit... lackluster. What started off as a thrilling survival horror game released in 1996 has since turned into an action-horror movie with a B-grade feel, with RE 5 and 6 both performing as lackluster titles and leaving fans wondering what's become of their beloved franchise. What started out as a puzzle-inclusive survival horror title now has turned into a first person shooter with too many things that go BOO and have eyes in places where they ought not to be. The past two games have focused more on gunplay than any kind of original elements that made the series great in the beginning, leaving a large amount of fans ostracized, or at the very worst, absolutely bored. We KNOW the T-virus is bad. Umbrella Corp are the bad guys. They made a thing, go kill the thing and don't die. Tah dah. It's a very limited storytelling aspect, and for a while, fans of the series were starting to worry.

But no more.

Following the release of RE 7, fans have seen what the franchise can be again. They can have their puzzles, they can have their things that go bang, but most importantly, they can be SCARED again!

Following a very successful (and exceedingly chilling) ad and demo campaign, RE 7 was released onto next-gen consoles and PC to critical acclaim. The PS4 version was also released with support for the PlayStation VR (virtual reality) headset (more on that in a bit). The demo for the game was released back in 2016, entitled RE: Beginning Hour, and it helped set up the major elements of the game, as well as the mechanics and graphics upgrades. However, it played its part well, still giving players with multiple questions to drive their hunger for the release of 7. But did their patience pay off in the end?

Let's start off by talking about the easy stuff: The overall look of the game. Set in Dulvey, Louisiana, the graphics capture the harsh, swampy landscape of the bayou and all of the shadows and secrets that come with it, to an almost crystal clear picture. Granted, you can still tell it's a game. But it's a VERY good-looking game. The PS4 version also includes the ability to play through the game with the PS VR headset, allowing players with a hi-definition first-person view, rather than the normal first-person view. This alone adds an entirely new aspect of terror to the game, as the player can now LITERALLY come face-to-face with the horrors lurking around.

Now, on to the plot (no major spoilers). The story focuses on the perspective of Ethan Winters, a regular guy who has found a desperate video message from his wife, Mia. Mia has been missing for 3 years and has otherwise disappeared off the map. Ethan receives another message from Mia, stating that he should come find her in Dulvey, Louisiana. His trip takes him to an old and seemingly abandoned plantation house, where he must look for his wife and discover the mysterious past that the house holds.

This is the first game that actually features a regular person with no previous combat experience. It's just a guy trying to find his wife. He's not a government worker. He's not a soldier. And the best thing is, he's scared. He has no training, just himself and a goal.

For those who cannot stand horror games, or who are unable to sleep if they even attempt to play them, I'd recommend giving this a hard pass, or watch one of your favorite You-Tubers play it. However, if you like that feeling of chills down your spine, or if you've been a longstanding or even recent fan of the franchise, I recommend picking this title up. It's a great change-up to the traditional RE format. It's a gorgeous game. It's challenging. And it is absolutely horrifying.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is out now for PlayStation 4, Xbox 1, and PC.

Play it....if you DARE.