25 Things You Experience As An RA In College

25 Moments That Every RA Knows All Too Well

Freshman year, every year? Yeah, we do that.

257
Grace Wilkowski

Everyone remembers their freshman year of college. From the dining hall food to the roommate who would leave their trash on your side of the room, we've all been there. While we rarely talk about it, we all had an RA. Whether your RA busted you for the noise a few too many times or looked the other way as you wondered the halls after a few too many — we all had em and we all have stories to share. However, how is it from the other side of the table? What's it like living with freshman after your freshman year over and over again? Well, ladies and gents...here it is.

1. When you meet your new staff for the year

media.giphy.com

How did I manage to get the best group of people to be an RA with? These will be my best of friends.

2. Going through training has you like

media.giphy.com

14 hours of suicide training really scares you ya know?

3. Making your first bulletin board

media.giphy.com

I am the craftiest, most creative person I know.

4. Designing door decs gets you like

media.giphy.com

The most love I will ever feel for a three-inch anything.

5. When your residents start moving in

media.giphy.com

They are both the most exciting and terrifying you have ever seen.

6. Holding your first floor meeting has you feeling

media.giphy.com

"Hi, I am your RA and your new best friend."

7. Doing rounds during the weekends

media.giphy.com

So many policy violations, so little time.

8. Holding your first program gets you like

media.giphy.com

Will anyone show up? Will I be a failure of an RA?

9. Making your second bulletin board

media.giphy.com

Educational boards for everyone.

10. When the music is too loud in the showers

media.giphy.com

Screaming over the showers and the music is a whole task within itself.

11. When someone hasn’t moved their laundry along all day

media.giphy.com

Get it together, we have laundry times and we share those washers...

12. When you deal with your first roommate conflict

media.giphy.com

We don't need to be besties, but we do need to be decent to one another.

13. Writing your first incident report

media.giphy.com

What goes in what space? How many things do I need to know?

14. When you find people sleeping in common rooms

media.giphy.com

You have a bed, use it.

15. Making your fifth bulletin board

media.giphy.com

Hours spent on decorating is not fun when you have a midterm the next day.

16. Finding residents with alcohol has you feeling

media.giphy.com

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

17. When you smell marijuana

media.giphy.com

Y'all a bunch of criminals, I see.

18. When your floor is silent

media.giphy.com

Something suspicious is going on.

19. When you’ve warned the same resident for noise three times in one weekend

media.giphy.com

I'm just done, you're trying to push to push my buttons.

20. The first time a resident comes to you with an issue and you're like

media.giphy.com

I have been trained for this very moment.

21. When your residents all start getting close

media.giphy.com

A real proud RA moment is when community starts to grow.

22. When you start creating genuine bonds with your residents

media.giphy.com

Y'all have my whole heart.

23. Holding the closing floor meeting like

It's like saying goodbye to your kids.

24. When the floor is empty for the year

media.giphy.com

FREE, finally I am no longer in charge of people.

25. Realizing you get to do it all again next year

media.giphy.com

More residents? More programs? More bulletin boards? Sign me up.

At the end of the day, you still love your residents through all of the craziness they put you through and we all know we wouldn't be the same person without our residents. Being a Resident Advisor changes you into the person you always wanted to be and at the end of every school year, you can't wait to do it all again. However, anyone who willingly will eat dining hall food for more than one year clearly has something wrong with them so what do we know.