Everyone remembers their freshman year of college. From the dining hall food to the roommate who would leave their trash on your side of the room, we've all been there. While we rarely talk about it, we all had an RA. Whether your RA busted you for the noise a few too many times or looked the other way as you wondered the halls after a few too many — we all had em and we all have stories to share. However, how is it from the other side of the table? What's it like living with freshman after your freshman year over and over again? Well, ladies and gents...here it is.
1. When you meet your new staff for the year
How did I manage to get the best group of people to be an RA with? These will be my best of friends.
2. Going through training has you like
14 hours of suicide training really scares you ya know?
3. Making your first bulletin board
I am the craftiest, most creative person I know.
4. Designing door decs gets you like
The most love I will ever feel for a three-inch anything.
5. When your residents start moving in
They are both the most exciting and terrifying you have ever seen.
6. Holding your first floor meeting has you feeling
"Hi, I am your RA and your new best friend."
7. Doing rounds during the weekends
So many policy violations, so little time.
8. Holding your first program gets you like
Will anyone show up? Will I be a failure of an RA?
9. Making your second bulletin board
Educational boards for everyone.
10. When the music is too loud in the showers
Screaming over the showers and the music is a whole task within itself.
11. When someone hasn’t moved their laundry along all day
Get it together, we have laundry times and we share those washers...
12. When you deal with your first roommate conflict
We don't need to be besties, but we do need to be decent to one another.
13. Writing your first incident report
What goes in what space? How many things do I need to know?
14. When you find people sleeping in common rooms
You have a bed, use it.
15. Making your fifth bulletin board
Hours spent on decorating is not fun when you have a midterm the next day.
16. Finding residents with alcohol has you feeling
I'm not mad, just disappointed.
17. When you smell marijuana
Y'all a bunch of criminals, I see.
18. When your floor is silent
Something suspicious is going on.
19. When you’ve warned the same resident for noise three times in one weekend
I'm just done, you're trying to push to push my buttons.
20. The first time a resident comes to you with an issue and you're like
I have been trained for this very moment.
21. When your residents all start getting close
A real proud RA moment is when community starts to grow.
22. When you start creating genuine bonds with your residents
Y'all have my whole heart.
23. Holding the closing floor meeting likeGiphy
It's like saying goodbye to your kids.
24. When the floor is empty for the year
FREE, finally I am no longer in charge of people.
25. Realizing you get to do it all again next year
More residents? More programs? More bulletin boards? Sign me up.
At the end of the day, you still love your residents through all of the craziness they put you through and we all know we wouldn't be the same person without our residents. Being a Resident Advisor changes you into the person you always wanted to be and at the end of every school year, you can't wait to do it all again. However, anyone who willingly will eat dining hall food for more than one year clearly has something wrong with them so what do we know.