"Resident Alien" And The Televised History Of Comic Book Adaptations

"Resident Alien," the newest series on Syfy, utilizes dark humor and a talented cast to blend sci-fi tropes - all coming together to produce an effortlessly-watchable show. The story follows a fish-out-of-water/alien-on-earth format with Harry (Alan Tudyk), the protagonist-alien who crashes on our planet and feigns the identity of a doctor in a sleepy, snowy town. As Harry humorously attempts to blend in with people, he discovers that his mission to destroy humankind will be more challenging than he anticipated.

Alan Tudyk Binge Watch GIF by SYFY Giphy

Available for free on SyFy's website, the comedy show is an adaptation of the Dark Horse comic series of the same name, joining the ranks of other adaptations that find their new homes in the extended time of a season rather than a two-hour movie.

While movie studios began employing comics' potential about ten years before TV did, the latter is reasonably a truer fit for the medium. If you have a desire to explore the genre, here is a compilation of comic book storylines adapted into television shows - barring trite superhero tales and highlighting *graphic* content.

1. "The Umbrella Academy" (2019 - Present)

Netflix Ben GIF by The Umbrella Academy Giphy

Available on Netflix.

2. "The End of the F***ing World" (2017 - 2019)

alex lawther netflix GIF by The End Of The F***ing World Giphy

Available on Netflix.

3. "I'm Not Okay With This" (2020)

I Am Not Okay With This Wyatt Oleff GIF by NETFLIX Giphy

Available on Netflix.

4. "Watchmen" (2019)

Its Time Dc GIF by Watchmen HBO Giphy

Available on HBOMax.

5. "The Walking Dead" (2010 - Present)

twd GIF by The Walking Dead Giphy

Available on Netflix.

​6. “Lucifer” (2016 - Present)​

Tom Ellis Ella Lopez GIF by Lucifer Giphy

Available on Netflix.

7. "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina"/"Sabrina The Teenage Witch" (2018 - 2020)/(1996 - 2003)

sabrina spellman witch GIF by Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Giphy

Available on Netflix and Hulu.

8. “Wynona Earp” (2016 - Present)

excited GIF by SYFY Giphy

Available on Netflix.

9. "Snowpiercer" (2020 - Present)

Tv Show GIF by SnowpiercerTV Giphy

Available on Amazon Prime or Hulu.