'Republican' Isn't A Bad Word, So Stop The Generalizations

Stop the generalization of political groups based off one small commonality.

405
Instagram

“Republican”

I know, that sent shivers down my spine too (just kidding). Now come on y’all, it’s time that the left stops treating “Republican” as some profane word.

Don’t get me wrong, I am nowhere near what’s considered a conservative: I registered Democrat, have been to four advocacy marches within the past year, and my backpack is decorated in colorful political pins. However, I’ve recently witnessed my friends, colleagues, and sometimes even me treating the word “Republican” as if it were a curse word.

To generalize one group of people based off of a small commonality goes against everything that progressives advocate for. (Aren’t we the ones who preach “a gay people aren’t like…,” “all African Americans don’t…,” etc.) That being said, we shouldn’t group all Republicans or conservatives into this hateful narrative either.

Very few people blindly follow their said political platform, meaning, most people do not entirely support every action or stance within their party. Thus, we need to stop the “all Republicans...” mentality. Yes, there are very divisive and extreme people within the Republican party, but aren’t there in almost every in-group? In history, there have been extremely destructive Christians, but we don’t call every church-goer a terrible person.

Sure, I may not agree with most of the Republican platform, but I have friends and family who do. I respect that those close to me are passionate about something other than what's in People Magazine — even if it's something I don't agree with.

As long as they're not promoting hate and violence, I am encouraging of differences in belief.

For the sake of a cohesive future, I urge everyone to do the same: stop the ostracization and stereotyping of Democrats or Republicans. It's time we realize that we need a melting pot of ideas to create constructive policies, even if it means hearing from a Republican every once in a while.