Let's Represent People With Disabilities The Right Way

Maybe instead of adding them as extras or for comic relief, lets give them the spotlight for once.

59
ClickTheCity

Normally, I'm not always on board when Netflix releases a new movie or series that deals with and focuses on such heavy topics and issues because for the most part, they either get it wrong or don't accurately portray it. We've seen the controversy behind shows such as "13 Reasons Why" and movies like "To The Bone." Which is why I was pleasantly surprised when a notification for a new show popped up and I was, of course, tempted to watch. Let me tell you, I have never been so happy about making that decision.

"Atypical" is truly a show that everyone needs to watch and with only eight episodes in it's first season (crossing my fingers for a season 2) you can practically binge-watch the entire season in one sitting. At least, that's what I did. But it wasn't just because of how short the episodes were, it was because I was too hooked on finding out what would happen in the last episode that I needed my questions answered pronto.

The show centers around an eighteen-year-old high school senior named Sam Gardner who wants to start dating. From a quick glance, you may not see anything wrong with him. But the truth of the matter is, Sam is on the autism spectrum. But this is not just a show about a boy who has autism; it's so much more and that's what makes it great. Yes, it does focus on Sams disability, but it does it in a way that makes it not the center or entire plot of the show, but still portrays it enough for us to learn more about it the right way.

It shows how we all struggle with certain things in life. Whether it be family problems, relationships, school, bullying, acceptance, love, friendship or just life in general. We get to see Sam tackle these same problems that everyone else faces, just in his own version. But there's nothing wrong with the way he is and some people don't seem to understand that.

We get this idea somehow that we need to fix people who have disabilities and try to make them appear "normal." What exactly is normal anyway? The idea that we need to fit in and be like everyone else and if we even so much as think to branch out on our own and do our own thing, we'll become ostracized from them all? I don't know about you, but I don't want to be like everyone else, and if that doesn't classify me as normal, then so be it.

There is no doubt that the way people with disabilities get portrayed in shows and movies is very stereotypical and negative. I'm sure we've seen them all: getting used as comic relief like they're the biggest joke and we could all use a laugh right about now. Only being good enough to be used as an extra or a person in the background so as not to bring any unnecessary attention to them because they don't appear like the rest of the people. The poor outcast who gets bullied and has no friends because no one wants to hang around with them because they're "different." The underdog, who for most of the time is kept hidden until suddenly they rise to popularity and is then loved by everyone.

So why do we continue to create these same types of characters over and over for them? Do we not see the incredible potential in them? They deserve to be treated and given the same opportunities as everyone else.

Having a disability should never be the only thing that defines them. It's whats on the inside that matters too.

They are more than what you see.

They are caring.

They are smart.

They are kind.

They are funny.

They are honest.

They are afraid.

But they are also courageous and so much more.

Most importantly though, they are human beings.

They do not want to be pitied for what they have, but respected and treated equally like any other person.

This show and issue is important to me because it hit homes for me. Having a brother who has Asperger's Syndrome, I've grown up and seen firsthand how someone with a disability gets treated differently than others. How people don't take the time to educate themselves on the diagnosis and instead choose to ignore it. It's been hard for me trying to understand the way my brother is, but I will never be able to come close to seeing the way he sees the world, but all I can do is try my best.

It's sad how I only need barely one hand to count how many times I've seen people with disabilities, including what my brother has, been represented positively in shows and movies. That's why this show is so important. This show has helped me understand what my brother and so many other people have to go through on a day to day basis. It has given me a better appreciation for him and for others. This show gets it right and there are flaws and it may not be entirely perfect, but it's a step in the right direction for a more accurate portrayal of people with disabilities.

My hope for the near future is that things can only go up from here. More importantly, when they do start to portray people with disabilities in shows and movies the right way, there needs to be actors and actresses that have the disability that get cast for the role. It's not always about how much money the movie makes, how popular the show is or hiring the most famous actor or actress for the part just so they can get an Oscar nomination. Sometimes, in the long run, it's a lot better to do what's right.

Because let me tell you, seeing the look on someones face light up with complete an utter happiness, with a smile that spreads across their face until it hurts, almost like it could go on for miles, from seeing someone who has the same disability as them being played by someone who actually has it in real like and as the starring role, that's priceless.