Reminiscing On 2016

Reminiscing On 2016

Welcoming 2017 with open arms

12
Reminiscing On 2016

From Kermit memes, to mannequin challenges, to Trump; 2016 has definitely been one interesting year!

But not only has this year been an interesting one regarding politics and social trends, it has also been an interesting one for me personally! During 2016, I have laughed, cried, lost friends, made new friends, seen my family members go through ups and downs and had my own fair share of ups and downs myself. But, through this rollercoaster of a year, I spent a lot of time thinking about my hopes, my dreams, my struggles and fears, and everything else in between! I realized a lot of things about myself and figured out the kinds of things I want to work on in 2017.

I realized that through the chaos of moving to the other side of the world, in the midst of my teenage years, I had lost sight of a lot of the things I hold important in life, and throughout 2016 I started to think of all the things that mean the most to me and the things I am excited to work on, in the craziness to come, 2017. Roll on the New Year!!

1. Not everyone will agree with you, that doesn’t have to change your relationship

With all of the opposing opinions over this year’s election, I have watched a lot of friendships fall apart. I have even heard of family members going for months without speaking and acting as if they just let all of their love disappear over different political views and different reactions to the election results. My boyfriend and I have very different views on politics, religion and a lot of other societal topics like gun control. But does that mean we love each other any less? Not at all! We have had our little quarrels here and there but at the end of the day who cares about your loved ones personal views. If you love and respect each other, then nothing else should have to get in the way! No matter if it is a friend, family member, or even just a coworker. We are all humans at the end of the day and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

2. When nothing seems to go your way, keep on pushing through

This past year, I have watched family members of mine struggle with their health. Has it stopped them from getting up every day and pushing through when life gets tough? Inspiringly, no! I have watched my grandmother go through so many obstacles and get to a point where it seemed like the universe was completely against her. But not once did she give up, no matter how hard things got, she only gained strength, courage and gratefulness from the entire experience. 2016 has taught me that, yes, life can suck, a lot. But if you keep fighting, and you stay determined and have your mind set on a goal, you will get there. Regardless of how hard the journey may be.

3. If someone leaves, maybe it wasn’t meant to be

Not only this year, but over many years, I have lost friends and I have gained friends. I have realized over the past 12 months that it may not always be a bad thing. Instead of being upset over losing friends, why not think about all the good times and remember all the great memories you made together. And maybe you guys just weren’t supposed to stay on the same paths your whole life, maybe you guys were supposed to grow apart in order to follow your own dreams. So no hard feelings to the friends that I have lost over the years, I hope you’re all doing well and life is treating you as best it can! No hard feelings!

4. Money and materialistic things, really don’t have much meaning in the grand scheme

At the end of the day, if we have our health, our family, and happiness, does anything else really matter? I guess to some people, yes it probably does, but in 2016 I have watched some people in my life obsess over money, and it kind of makes me sad. Yes money can buy fancy drinks and the newest jacket and the newest car model, but it can’t by the things that really matter in the grand scheme of things. I have watched people argue over money, relationships fall apart over money, and I have heard of people stealing money, and materialistic and expensive goods. It has made me aware that in 2017 I want to care less about money and focus more on the things that do really and truly matter in this world. Money is not worth fighting over.

5. Always have an open mind

Living in a world with so many different people, so many different opinions and an endless amount of adventures just waiting to begin, I have decided that this New Year; my biggest resolution is going to be to try and let go of all of my fears and any closed mindedness that I have. I want to face 2017 with a positive attitude, a lot of energy and an open mind to take on whatever adventures come my way and whatever life decided to through at me! Thank you 2016 for a great ride, but it’s time for 2017 to take the wheel! Cheers to the New Year everyone, I hope it is safe and wonderful

.