Remembering Barack Obama's Presidency

Remembering Barack Obama's Presidency

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" - Barack Obama

50
Remembering Barack Obama's Presidency
CNN

The 2008 Presidential election was first presidential election that I was old enough to semi follow, and I remember the inauguration so clearly. I watched from my sixth grade science classroom as America ushered its first black president into the White House. I was so proud to be an American that day.

I have always been a fan of President Obama. I think that over his eight years, he did his best with the tough situation that was left for him by the Bush Administration. His impact was significant, and he definitely earned his place among the greats in history.

It's been eight years since Obama took office, and soon a new president will be announced; the nastiness of the 2016 election season will be behind us. Hopefully, America will soon be led by our first ever female president. As excited as I am about the first woman president, I am going to miss having Obama in the Oval Office. Below are some of his quotes that I find particularly impactful.

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"Now, as a nation, we don't promise equal outcomes, but we were founded on the idea everybody should have an equal opportunity to succeed. No matter who you are, what you look like, where you come from, you can make it. That's an essential promise of America. Where you start should not determine where you end up."

"If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress."

"Let us remember we are all part of one American family. We are united in common values, and that includes belief in equality under the law, basic respect for public order, and the right of peaceful protest."

"My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too."

"I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear."

"That's the good thing about being president, I can do whatever I want."

"We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible."

"Americans... still believe in an America where anything's possible - they just don't think their leaders do."

"What Washington needs is adult supervision."