Honoring Our Unsung Heroes from 9/11

Honoring Our Unsung Heroes from 9/11

May we always remember 9/11.

103
Honoring Our Unsung Heroes from 9/11
Emily Wood

I love America. I love the patriotism that binds us and the history that built us. I love the land that connects us and the flag that unites us. I love the customs that distinguish us and the spirit that drives us. But most of all, I love the people. America would not be America without the men and women of honor who have a passion for making America the greatest place on Earth. The very idea of America came from the minds of people such as this. The essence of America came from the minds of men with a dream much greater than themselves. A dream that would explode into something beyond their wildest imagination and they sought to build a country on the foundation of that dream. Centuries later, we reap the benefits of their beautiful dream that eventually expanded from sea to shining sea.

Until it all came crashing down.

On a Tuesday morning in September, enemies attacked this dream and every fiber of the American way threatened to deteriorate when a senseless act of terrorism occurred on our soil.

September 11, 2001, marks one of the darkest days of American history. Thousands lost their lives as a result of a senseless act of violence. Yet out of the smoke and debris, America emerged mightier than ever. From the ashes came a stronger kind of beauty.

One of my proudest American moments was singing the National Anthem with my high school choir at Ground Zero. We sang praise to our nation on the very spot of the greatest devastation that took place on American soil.

Another dreadful day that took place exactly 11 years after 9/11 plays a pivotal role in American history yet fails to make the history books.

September 11, 2012, a date often forgotten, marks a monumental moment for America.

On that day, several lost their lives in a firefight in Benghazi, Libya. These brave men continued to fight the fight that began in 2001. For 13 hours, Kris Paranto and his team ignored the odds stacked against them and chose to do the right thing. Knowing they probably would not survive, they defended a US compound in Benghazi, Libya and persisted to save the lives of fellow Americans from a terrorist attack. Ultimately, they rescued 20 Americans, but 4 perished, including US ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, computer expert Sean Smith, and former Navy Seals Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.

I had the opportunity to meet Kris “Tanto” Paranto, an Army Ranger, at an event this summer and listen to his firsthand account of his 13 hour fight in Benghazi. To personally meet and say thank you to a hero like him marks another one of my proudest American moments.

Because of him, and the bravery of countless others, I have the privilege to call myself an American.

May we never forget September 11, 2001, but may we also never forget September 11, 2012. Remember those who lost their lives in the last decade responding to the initial act of terrorism in 2001. Remember those who died in strange lands so we can sleep in peace at night. Remember the unsung soldiers of Benghazi. Remember.

We must remember lest we lose the nation we love. We must pass the torch of freedom to future generations. We must strive to never give up on the nation that affords us our liberty.

In the wake of 9/11 (2001 & 2012), a day in which every American should pause and reflect, we must vow to cherish and protect the freedoms we hold so dear.

Because of heroes like Kris Paranto and his fellow soldiers that perished during the dark 13 hours in Benghazi, we have the liberty to raise our heads high with freedom and sing “God Bless America.”

Because of this, I boldly say that I could not be any prouder to be an American.

***For the full portrayal of the September 11, 2012 in Benghazi, Libya, watch “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.”