5 Things To Remember During The Trump Era

We the people should remember...

11
Good Morning America

1. Neither the President nor the journalists can “distort reality” unless we give them the power to do so.

Presidents and journalists present to us their interpretation of the reality through things like twitter posts or news reports. We must consider their interpretation, but not absorb it as the actual reality. Do remember that interpretations are traditionally riddled with subjectivity and other biases. We will be giving either our president or the journalists power to “distort reality” the day that we begin to absorb their interpretation as the actual reality.

2. A “peaceful protest” reminds the people that they are not alone.

Not all of our protests produce the instant results or changes that some of us seek. The lack of instant changes or results does not mean that the protest is ineffective. Sometimes protests are effective because of the messages that it distributes to the society. It reminds the vulnerable that they are not alone. And the protester reminds each other that they are not alone.

3. Those who hold a political stance that is not in line ours are not “the others.”

When we identify a group of individuals (or an individual) as “the other," we make them feel like their concerns would not be considered by us. It is crucial for us to be open to the concerns of all people living within our nation. If, for example, we find the concerns of individuals to be grounded on a discriminatory ideal, then we must convince them of this instead of dismissing them. If our stance on a concern is finer, then we must convince them that it is. We should also be willing to compromise.

4. Your political neutrality can indirectly harm a group of people (or an individual).

Do acknowledge the fact that being neutral is a choice in itself.

5. The “vulnerable people” are not being overly paranoid.

Vulnerable are the people who are being treated like outsiders in their own home. These people are not being overly paranoid about the future. Policies are being created and implemented to discriminate against them.