11 Things To Remember When Starting School

11 Things To Remember As The Semester Starts

With school either having already started or about to start, there are always a few things to remember when getting back into the swing of things.

73
Amy Mahinske

With school either having already started or about to start, there are always a few things to remember when getting back into the swing of things. The transition might be something new for some students and that can be kind of intimidating. For returning students, take it easy on new-comers, you were in their shoes once.

With that in mind, here are a few things to remember while returning to school.

1. Start with a positive attitude

Starting the semester off in a bad mood won't do you any favors. Come in with an open mind and be ready for new experiences. Give it your all at the beginning and hopefully that will carry on throughout the entire semester.

2.  Keep a planner/To- Do list

Sure, this seems annoying, but it helps! Writing down what is due can help you stay on track. It will ensure you don't forget any assignments or miss any appointments. You can get super cheap planners at the Dollar Store or Walmart; they don't need to be fancy. Jot down what's due and keep checking it.

Trust me, this will save your ass more than once.

3. Be Friendly 

Chat with your peers while in class. They are in the same boat as you and making at least an acquaintance in each class can be useful. If you don't understand something, it's good to have someone to talk to. Plus, you're going to be with these people for a good amount of time, it can't hurt to get to know them for class sakes.

I'm not saying you need to form lifelong friendships or hang out beyond the classroom, but if that happens, great!

4. To Freshmen: leave your letterman's jacket at home!

It's not a big deal anymore. No one cares that you lettered 4 years in football at a high school some people have probably never even heard of. It's a great accomplishment and no one can take that away from you, but let's be honest, who cares? If you're continuing sports in college, that's great! Stick to that clothing and be proud your new team; it's time to move on.

5. Pay attention 

I don't mean just in class either. Pay attention to what's going on around campus and take advantage of events. You never know what cool thing you can learn or find by paying attention.

6. Get involved 

I am now a senior and I have never joined a club or organization. This is something I regret. Even if you're a returning student, you can still join something. It will give you something to add to your resume (hopefully) and something to do. This is a good way to make friends for new students as well. You'll find others with similar interests which can make for a fun year.

7. Get to know your professors

This is something I find very useful. Making connections with your Profs can be huge. It's good to know them not only because they'll be teaching you all semester, but also for so much more. If a time comes when you need a recommendation letter or someone to vouch for you, they could possibly help you if you've established a connection with them.

Professors are not scary at all, half the time they are a big of a mess as we are. They're only humans and they want to be active and involved with you, take the time to reach out and form a relationship past showing up for class.

8. An F isn’t the end of the world

Remember, no one is perfect and shit happens. If you fail a test of assignment, don't worry!! There are many chances to make up the grade and professors are usually pretty understanding. Keep your head up high and learn from the mistake. Don't let it consume you; it isn't the end of the world.

9. Stay true to yourself 

Don't conform to try and fit in. if you don't make friends instantly, that's okay! Not everyone is going to be your cup of tea. You will eventually find people that have similar interests and you connect with. Don't allow anyone to make you feel like lesser of a person just because they are different than you. College is a time to explore and get to know yourself.

10. Ask questions

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Whether it's in the classroom or you're lost looking for a building! Just ask! If you have a question about the material you are learning, someone else probably does as well. Not only are you helping yourself by speaking up, you can help others around you.

It can seem intimidating to speak in front of a large group or to someone you have never met, but don't let that deter you. No one is going to laugh at you or judge you for asking a question. Professors will encourage this even. If you don't know, don't wonder, just ask.

11. Most importantly, have fun

College is going to be hard, not going to lie. Returning students know this and freshmen will soon find out. Take time for yourself and appreciate the little things. Go out with friends, take that road trip, or go see that concert. Taking yourself too seriously will only hurt you in the long run.

This is a good time to just go out and enjoy yourself, don't bring yourself down by drowning yourself with work.

Start the semester kicking ass and taking names! Get your work done, but remember to enjoy yourself! Have a great semester!!!