Finding Peace Through The Heartache Of Sutherland Springs

"I melt in Your peace, its overwhelming."

77
Ally Mishell Smith

I grew up in a Christian home with parents who always took me to church. I've gone to the same church my entire life. Yes, I've been to other churches when I've been visiting friends, but there is something so comforting about going back to my home church. Most of my childhood memories are from going to church and Sunday School. For me, going to church has been my safe place. It's been a place for me to release all of my emotions and thoughts after a long week. It's the place where I met my best friend. It's the place where I went on my first mission trip. It's the place where I discovered my love for teaching kids. It's where I found my love for singing. It's been the place where I found myself.

I'm sure everyone has heard about the shooting in Texas that happened on Sunday, November 5, 2017, but just in case you haven't, here is a rundown of what happened. A gunman opened fire at First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, not long after the morning worship service started. 26 people were killed, including an unborn child, a one-year-old, and the pastor's 14-year-old daughter.

The pastor of the church, Pastor Pomeroy, said in an interview with CNN that he forgives the shooter. He forgives the man who killed his daughter and so many of his church family. When I read this, I instantly thought of how God forgives us. No matter how bad the sin or no matter how far we stray away, He always welcomes us back with open, loving arms.

I found a new song this week by Kari Jobe called "The More I Seek You." It's a very simple song that doesn't have many lyrics, but the lyrics are so comforting.

The more I seek You
The more I find You
The more I find You
The more I love You

I want to sit at Your feet
Drink from the cup in Your hand
Lay back against You and breathe, feel Your heart beat
This love is so deep, its more than I can stand
I melt in Your peace, its overwhelming

For me, whenever I'm stressed out or overwhelmed with what is going on in life, a simple prayer can turn my day around. It's almost like as I call out to God or hand over a situation to Him, I can feel His arms wrap around me. It's like God is telling me, "I got it and I got you and it's going to be okay."

Pastor Pomeroy said, "Keep looking up. No matter how hard it is or how good it is — Just keep looking up." I challenge you to keep looking up. No matter what you are worrying over or what is going on in your life, give it to God, look up, and let His arms wrap around you. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Sutherland Springs. I pray that God has His arms around you tonight, and the nights to come.

"And not only that, but we also rejoice in our afflictions, because we know that affliction produces endurance, endurance produces proven character, and proven character produces hope. This hope will not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." — Romans 5:3-5