5 Healthy Relationships That Have Changed My Life

There are certain people in your life who make you better for knowing them.

382

The week of February 12th is considered Healthy Relationships Week. Traditionally, healthy relationships are most important in terms of "dating relationships" and preventing domestic violence and sexual assault. This topic is the center of Alpha Chi Omega's national philanthropy and is also one that is very near and dear to my heart.

However, in celebrating healthy relationships, I wanted to bring to light those that don't fall under the category of romance. There have been many relationships in my life that I would definitely characterize as healthy and positive to my personal growth. That being said, I wanted to write a sort of tribute to these people so that they know just how big of an impact their actions have had.

1. My Mom

I can’t thank my mom enough for all that she’s done for me. Whatever is going on in my life, whether good or bad, I always want to let her know what’s up. Let me tell you, I had some pretty bratty moments growing up, but my mom didn’t give up because the going got tough. She has taught me what responsibility is and to finish what I’ve started. My mom has taught me to be a strong, independent woman and to think for myself.

I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t pick up the phone and talk about the most recent Netflix shows we’ve watched and how the books were better. She’s always been incredibly supportive of everything I do even when it’s not quite her thing. I can remember her coming to my band concerts and bringing a book because, while she enjoyed listening to the music, it just wasn’t her cup of tea. She still made the effort to be at everything though, and that has meant the world to me.

2. My Childhood Best Friend

My best friend, Sarah, has lived within two miles of me for all but about two years of my life. We met at a Burger King when we were 4 or 5 years old and we’ve been inseparable since. We both have busy lives now and go to different colleges (in the same city, but it’s still not ideal), but if I ever need advice, I know I can trust her to be brutally honest with me. She keeps a level head and lets me know when I’m overreacting about something (which is usually).

Her mom thought that once we went to college, we wouldn’t talk to each other anymore. In response to that, I am proud to say that within this past month we went to Olive Garden together and gorged ourselves on every carb known to man (that last part, I’m less proud of). I value her honesty and her faithfulness to me as a friend. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.

3. My Cousins

Amber (and everybody else), this one’s for you. One of my favorite childhood memories is going to my grandparents’ farmhouse and doing puzzles and eating cookies (with green icing) with my cousin. Our moms are twins so maybe that’s why we’re so close (or maybe it’s Maybelline). Regardless, she’s stuck by me through thick and thin. All throughout my life, all of my cousins have been at every family gathering from Easter to New Year’s Eve.

If there’s one thing that family is good for, it’s not letting you get too full of yourself. The gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) teasing keeps you quick on your feet and close with those you love. No matter how families may fight, I know I can always count on mine to lift me up, but knock me down a peg or two if I need it as well. They are the roots that keep me firmly planted, and I’ll love them no matter how much they love country music and bringing shotguns to Thanksgiving ;).

4. My College Roommates (You Know Who You Are)

Pod 511 has had some good times. You never really know a person until you spend about eight of the most stressful months of your year with them. There’s something special about the people you live with in college because they didn’t get that lifetime of knowing you to judge how crazy you are before choosing to live with you. One of my favorite things about these girls is that we’re all so different. My fellow mom-friend, Maggie, is pretty much my clone in thoughts and actions, but we couldn’t be more different in our intellectual interests.

She once told me, “it amazes me that someone could get so excited about science.” She’s an English major; need I say more? These people will sit and listen to me talk about proteins and my microscopic worms for hours on end even though it bores them to death, and I think it takes a special kind of person to do that. Without these guys, I don’t know where I’d be. Their different perspectives from all different walks of life have been one of the biggest blessings I’ve encountered.

5. My Boyfriend

I can’t make a list appreciating the wonderful people and relationships in my life without bringing up Xander. Let me tell you, this boy has been through a lot by dating me. I’m grumpy when I’m sleepy. I’m grumpy when I’m hungry. I’m grumpy when I’m stressed out… The list goes on and on, but he’s stayed with me and provides all of the love and support I could ask for. Don’t get me wrong. Having to deal with a moody, anxiety-ridden beast like me hasn’t come without its bumps along the road; however, through every bump we’ve hit, he’s showed me love through it all.

Now I don’t want to get too sappy. I won’t pretend like I’m not on the receiving end of a Dutch oven about once a week, but I’m so thankful that he chooses to see the beauty in me when I can’t. He’s showed me how awesome it is to be friends with your significant other, and how much better it is when you’re able to communicate with each other and support one another. I love him a lot is all I can say.

After writing this, it seems to me that rather than explain specifically what is healthy about each of our relationships, I’ve mostly talked about how great these people are. I think, though, that the effort that they put in to make these relationships great in their various ways is what makes them considered healthy relationships.

It’s good to have a support team you can fall back on and one that can make you a better person in your worst of times. These people that I have listed have impacted my life greatly and the relationships I have with them continue to grow strong. Thank you guys for all you have done.