Television and movies dramatize friendships. They set an unrealistic expectation for how the relationships in our lives should look like.

But news flash, we don’t all have one inseparable best friend that we grow up with, who knows us better than we know our selves. That friend who’s basically an extension of yourself,

Because that girl that you had sleepovers with every weekend in fifth grade, or was in every single one of your Instagram posts freshman year, drifted away.

They fell onto a different path, but you shouldn’t blame yourself.

I did.

I thought it was my fault.

You stopped talking to me one day. You found someone better.

Was it something I said? Was it something I did? Am I not cool enough for them? Why does nobody stick around for too long?

I watched them hang out with the people they moved on to, I waited for them to change their mind and come back.

You never came back.

You said we were still friends. “Oh yeah, I miss you too. Maybe soon I’ll be less busy and we can catch up.” We never did.

I analyzed everything I said and did. How did we go from basically living at each-others houses, to avoiding eye contact in the hallways?

I shrunk into myself because if my best friend couldn’t put up with me then I was sure nobody else could.

But I was wrong.

I can’t change who I am any more than I can change who you are. Your interests changed, that’s not my fault.

People grow apart. And that’s ok.

Some relationships, while they seemed fun at first, weren’t what we needed in the long run. I mean, yeah, I can see that now, but that doesn’t take away the hurt they caused.

And if a relationship causes more hurt than it’s worth, it’s time to let it go. It’s not wrong to think of yourself and your mental health first.

People change. I know I sure have.

I’m not the same person I was in fifth grade, or freshman year or even a few months ago. Just because things change in your life is no reflection of you or anything you did wrong.

Choose to love yourself and know your worth. Choose to remember the good memories fondly, but don’t stay hung up on the bad ones.

And keep moving on. Build new relationships and enjoy your life because life doesn’t stop moving and if you stay caught up on the people who chose a different path, you’ll miss all those amazing memories you could have made with someone new.