surviving your long distance relationship is realistic
Dating

The do's and the don'ts of long distance relationships! Can they survive or are they simply cursed?

801
unsplash photo by Pablo Heimplatz

I'm sure everyone reading this has seen their fair share of relationships crumble in front of them. Whether those relationships are friends, family, or your own, everyone has seen relationships fail to survive. Some of these relationships may have been very strong and passionate, but still, they fell victim to the ever-so-popular break-up. The most popular kind of relationship susceptible to the "break up" and almost always guaranteed to fail, is long distance. Long distance relationships don't have the best reputation but, within this article, I'm going to discuss some of the stereotypes assigned to this type of relationship and think about some ways to make this type of relationship a success.

Many people are under the impression that long distance relationships fail because two people are unable to restrain themselves from cheating on their significant other. This notion is incorrect. If two people love each other, I don't see how their love wouldn't be strong enough to hold them over while they are apart. When an individual decides to cheat on someone they love, it signifies they don't love nor respect themselves, which proves they are unable to love each other. Cheating can occur between long-distance couples, couples who attend the same school, work at the same workplace, or even live together. Long distance is not the cause for cheating, but just a mere excuse for immature people to blame their own issues on a popular stigma.

Long distance relationships are also known to break couples apart because they feel disconnected to their significant other. Many long-distance relationships end due to the lack of physical interaction and how hard it is to feel connected to a partner when they are not close in distance. I also think that a strong enough couple could face this challenge head-on and overcome the popular stigma. Along with all of the technology that is directly available to most of us in this day and age, being apart from one another can actually make reuniting all the more special. When two people are apart, feelings are more likely to grow stronger because of how much trust is needed to be given to partners, due to the lack of physical presence each individual is able to fill in their partner's life during the current time. If the relationship is strong and dependable, reuniting after being without your partner for a long amount of time makes seeing each other all the more special.

Although every relationship has their challenges and hardships, long distance can be successfully conquered. Many couples that don't have strong relationships or enough trust in each other tend to blame their relationship failures on long distance. However, long distance can be successfully executed as long as the relationship is emotionally prepared for the hardships to come. Every relationship has obstacles and long distance is just one of the obstacles that a successful relationship should be able to overcome with the right attitude, an appropriate amount of trust and most importantly, strong love for a significant other.