When Your Relationship Is At Your Most Vulnerable, Please Remember To Stand Firm

Overcoming the obstacles is what makes the journey worth it.
591

In a relationship, being the bigger man is better said than done. It takes a good amount of sacrifice to be able to make food trips, give as much time as possible to her, and be able to love her unconditionally regardless of the flaws that come with dating your lovely woman. As a man, you're willing to make those sacrifices to be with your one and only as such. So when your relationship is at your most vulnerable (constant fights/arguing, lack of communication, etc.) how would you react?

Many of my friends gave me different opinions on what they felt was the right thing to do. Some said to just leave, abandoning all you and your love have built up and tearing it right back down to dust, assuming that hope is all lost. Others have said to try and work it out and that nothing is ever perfect (have a conversation, take her out to eat, go to the park with her, etc.) Another girl told me that she'd take a "break" for a bit before getting back with her boyfriend (didn't work out too well.) Then there's the craziest scenario.

Another girl has come into your life and has a crush on you. Yikes.

It's not just any girl. She's beautiful, talks about everything with you, is kind and respectful. This leaves you more vulnerable than any other scenario you can possibly imagine.

Yes, this was me.

How did I react? At the time, I just couldn't do it. I could not stoop so low as to cheat on anyone. As much as my girlfriend (now ex, unfortunately) hadn't communicated with me at all for weeks at a time and never saw me for months (strangely, since she was out of work at the time and wasn't in school), as much as the girl I was talking to was sweet and cute, I made a promise to stick through the trials and tribulations with my ride or die.

At my most vulnerable, I stood firm. I promised.

And even though my relationship ended a month later, I was proud of myself to be able to stand up for someone I love, regardless of the troubles it came with.

Being at your most vulnerable is difficult. However, always remember why you started dating your loved one. Stand firm.

Stand. Firm.