It's not easy coming to the realization that the friendship/relationship you're in may be a toxic one, but the fact of the matter is, if something has a negative effect on your mental health and stunts your growth as an individual, then it's definitely not for you in any way.

It's a hard pill to swallow for sure because we tend to remain in situations that are comfortable and routine so that we don't have to go out on a limb to cultivate something new with someone else because that idea has so many unknowns. That's the exact reason why we as humans tend to stay in toxic relationships hoping that things will change in time, rather than taking a much-needed detox and getting out of that emotionally straining relationship/friendship.

Feeling like you aren't getting everything you need and deserve out of a friendship and even a relationship is disappointing and can cause you to start thinking that you are the problem when that may not be the case. Friendships do fizzle out sometimes due to different interests and life experiences that you may differ in thought about, but the hardest part about taking a break from a friendship and realizing it may be toxic is when the person or people have been in your life so long already. You think that because you've experienced so much with these people that there's no way your relationship should ever come to an end. Because you take into account the history you all shared, you neglect to consider the negative traits they possess.

To many, history is more important than quality, so turning a blind eye to toxicity is common. This is something we do so often, but the fact of the matter is that it is harmful to our own growth.

I say this all the time but it's okay to be selfish when it comes to your mental health.

So, if that means taking a relationship detox and detaching from people who make you feel unhappy, do it.

The same thing goes for a relationship with a significant other--it doesn't matter how long you have been in each other's lives, whether that be 3 months, or 3 years, if the person is taking a toll on your mental health and how you think of yourself, it's time to be selfish and let them go.

I know these things are easier said than done because I've had my fair share of relationships I've had to let go of too, but know that something beautiful always comes out of focusing on building yourself up rather than settling and letting someone else have power over your mind and happiness.

Some things can be worked out, but not everything bad that happens in a friendship or relationship is something you can talk through and be okay with the next day. Some things are meant as signs that a person may not have your best interest at heart, and it's your decision on whether you want to acknowledge the signs and take a break from the person or continue on in a toxic relationship.

Remember that you are the only person stopping you from reaching your full potential, so you are ultimately in control of who contributes to your growth or participates in your downfall.