I Did Not Get The Job I Spent 6 Months Applying For

So, what now?

1062
pexel

About twenty minutes ago I checked my email. I mean, I check my email pretty frequently but twenty minutes ago, I checked it with intention. I applied for a job back in October and today was the day. I was finally going to hear back from them. I’ll spare you the details of the seconds leading up to the grand reveal (although they were quite intense from my perspective) and just go ahead and say it: I got rejected.

Also, just a quick disclaimer: for the sake of my own dignity, and the employer, I will purposely never mention what this job was or who it was with.

As I was saying, I spent the last couple of weeks convinced this job was what I was supposed to do. It would only make sense! I have plans to go to graduate school and this occupation was going to last the perfect amount of time. It was framed at two years and came with benefits, such as scholarships and connections.

I could study for grad school, be working, while securing connections and funding, go me!

Not to mention, I would be getting life-experience that my million years of being a student hasn’t provided me much of. This opportunity was supposed to be perfect; this job was supposed to be mine; today was supposed to be about celebrating.

But I guess that is just how the cookie crumbles.

Articles that concern these kinds of life events are generally written three months after they take place. Generally with a moral to the story in mind. Because God knows, the moments that follow great disasters are not for the internet. They are for your diary.

But I guess I decided to do things differently. This article is not compressed with some subliminal message of how everything happens for a reason, no. I have a feeling that things might happen for a reason. But as of right now I can almost promise you that I have not even the slightest clue.

This article is just to highlight that things happen. We're human. Whether I feel up to it or not, things will go on. It’s only been about an hour at this point since I got the news but I am starting to feel the reality of the situation sink in.

I am not going to have that job.

It sucks that I spent so much time thinking about it and it sucks even more that I genuinely wanted it. But, I am not going to have the job. Plain and simple.

At the moment, I have zero ideas about what I will do instead. But I guess it's okay. Sometimes we do not have things planned, and I guess that is something I need to really realize. This moment is about being sad.

The point of this article is to let you know, that sometimes things go south, and before you really DO anything about it, you deserve, and it is okay, to be sad.

Humans have been living for hundreds of years. Every single one of them exists and has existed within, this framework we call life. Throughout the years, humans have done brilliant things. From technological advances to perfecting coherent understandings of various psychologies. Yet, there has never been a person bold enough to come out and give some sort of formula to life. Keep that in mind; everyone does something, but no one does it all.

Be open-minded to the fact that your idea for your life may not even, itself, serve you. And keep in mind that the person you watch become successful only has the tools for their own success.

If things just went unexpectedly, do me a favor and be sad for a second; then do me an even bigger favor and figure it out for yourself. No one else has your answers.