Rejani's Declassified Midterms Survival Guide
Education

Rejani's Declassified Midterms Survival Guide: 6 Steps To Surviving Week 8

In short, midterms is complete chaos.

265
Rejani King

If you are a college student, you know how hectic midway through the semester can get. In short, midterms is complete chaos. Between exams, assignments, and extra-curricular activities, we often don't have time for ourselves. In light of this time in the semester, I decided to create a list of tips to help college students survive midterms. Disclaimer: Some of these tips are easier said than done for some people. My advice is to do what's best for you, but try some of these tips if you feel that they can be beneficial.

1. Create a Schedule

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

I cannot stress the importance of this tip. Having a schedule is beneficial when you are someone that participates in a lot on campus (classes, extra-curricular activities, assignments). By creating a schedule, you can see everything that you need to get done. Also, a schedule allows you to prioritize what you need to do first (set aside time for studying). The earlier that you create a schedule, the more time you will have to study and be successful in taking your exams. Creating a schedule can help you better navigate this stressful time.

2. Pay Attention (Seriously)

Photo by Natasha Brazil on Unsplash

Photo by Natasha Brazil on Unsplash

During this time of the semester, many of us are increasingly exhausted and tired of classes. It's normal however, that doesn't mean that we should stop paying attention in class (occasional moments of zoning out happen). Many professors will use the midterms as a benchmark to see how their students are doing in the semester. They will use a lot of information such as those in class discussions and notes on their exams. Essentially, anything is fair game.

3. Put in the Effort

Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash

Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash

Without effort, would anything get done? If you don't put in the effort to do well in your classes, you most likely won't see good progress in your classes. As a student, you want to see if you have improved in the class. How can you do that if you don't put in the work? I recommend (as stated before in the first tip) to set aside as much time as your schedule will allow making sure that you are prepared to the best of your ability for your exams.

4. Don't Strive for Perfection

Photo by Hailey Reed on Unsplash

Photo by Hailey Reed on Unsplash

In the previous tips, I've stressed the importance of making a schedule, prioritizing studying, and putting in the effort for success during this time. However, I believe that even when a person does all of this to the best of their ability, they still can get a "bad grade." I've been there and I think it's important to remember while preparing for your exams, to not strive for perfection. We can easily get caught up in trying to get the "perfect score," but I think it can be harmful. Why? We're constantly stressing ourselves out. My advice would be to do your best and prepare as best as you can.

5. Have a Positive Attitude

Photo by Eye for Ebony on Unsplash

Photo by Eye for Ebony on Unsplash

Having a positive attitude is incredibly important. From past experiences, I think that when I went into my midterms with a positive attitude, my overall mood and environment changed. I felt more comfortable and at ease. However, there was still underlying feelings of anxiousness but overall, I felt at peace. Also, I think that having a positive attitude can give you a boost of confidence that otherwise wasn't there before.

6. Take Care of Yourself

Photo by Leighann Renee on Unsplash

Photo by Leighann Renee on Unsplash

Lastly, make sure to set aside some time for yourself. The time that you create for yourself is just as important (if not more) than the grade that you get on an exam. Your mental health matters and it's important that you care for it as much as you can. During this time, we can tend to get exhausted, anxious, and overwhelmed. Make sure that you give yourself the care that you need to be at your absolute best.

I hope that with these tips, you find some comfort during this time. If you're not able to incorporate all of these tips into your regimen, try at least one and see how it goes. I'm all for trying new ways to succeed (especially in school). Good Luck!