I Refuse To Be A Statistic

I Refuse To Be A Statistic

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

46
I Refuse To Be A Statistic
Courtney MacDougall

I refuse to be a statistic. I refuse to let the choices of my biological mother influence my future. According to the National Association For Children Of Alcoholics:

1. "Children of addicted parents are the highest risk group of children to become alcohol and drug abusers due to both genetic and family environment factors."

2. "Biological children of alcohol dependent parents who have been adopted continue to have an increased risk (2-9 fold) of developing alcoholism."

3. "Research on behavioral problems demonstrated by children of alcoholics has revealed some of the following traits: lack of empathy for other persons; decreased social adequacy and interpersonal adaptability; low self-esteem; and lack of control over the environment."

Seeing what addiction has done to my biological mother, I know that is a place that I NEVER want to be in. Thankfully my grandparents took my brother and me in to raise us because I don't know if I would be where I am today without them. My grandparents are my heroes. They are truly my gift sent from God. Because of them, I am a first generation college student studying communication arts and sociology at one of the best Christian colleges in the country. They stepped in and made sure that my brother and I didn't end up in the foster care system. They taught me how to love deeply, keep the faith and always be moving forward. Words cannot express my gratitude to them.

I have found God through my challenges and without putting my trust in God, I would be in a very dark place. I know that God's will for me is greater than anything I could ever imagine for myself. I don't know exactly where I am going to end up after graduation, but I am proud of myself for being a first generation college student and getting an education. Isaiah 29:16 says, "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me." God is always looking out for me and only gives me as much as I can handle. Even on my worse days, God is there. He is always there. I have great comfort in knowing that.

I refuse to be a statistic.

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13).

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'" (Jeremiah 29:11).