Reflections Of A Former Skating Coach

Reflections Of A Former Skating Coach

My students might think I'm the one teaching, but they've shown me a completely different world.

73
Reflections Of A Former Skating Coach

When I tell people that I used to run figure skating classes for young children, I get mixed reactions. But from a lot of people who don't teach, I get told, "Wow, that must be exhausting! That's a lot to take on!" or "I could never work with kids. I just don't like it."

Those are both fair reactions--there were definitely some days where I came home from coaching exhausted and wondering what I'd gotten myself into. And liking kids is definitely not a requirement of life, I can understand just not having that rapport with small children. It's totally okay. However, for me, coaching figure skating was so much more than a job, so much more than just working with kids, and it completely changed my life.

I started coaching partially because of the reason that every teen who gets a job gets one--money and experience. It was something I had the skill set for and it was better than fast food. But another large part of me wanted to bring the joy of skating to more kids because it practically saved my life.

In some of my worst times, I went to the ice, because it made me happier than anything else could. When I was being smothered by mental illness, the ice was my sanctuary. And I thought, if I can bring that to a child, I'll be happy. If I can help them unlock their passion, it will be the most fulfilling thing I could ever do.

And quite honestly, it was.

When I coached figure skating, I mainly taught Snowplow Sam and Basic One. For those not in with the "lingo" of Learn to Skate USA, those are entry level skating classes for complete beginners. Snowplow Sam is usually taken by three to five-year-olds, and Basic One is for six and above, though it usually ends up capping out at fifteen. Because of that, I was usually the first person that these children saw within the skating sphere, so the difference I made was palpable.

I got to watch my students go from being scared to even skate, to seeing them years later, gliding across the ice with confidence, smiling all the way.

I was able to see students go from "I'm here because my parents made me" to "I've found my passion, and I can be here in a place that I love more than anything."

I witnessed students master things that they at first told themselves they would never be able to do and was able to see them move on to help their friends who were learning.

When I left the rink that I called home my senior year, it really was like seeing a culmination of the work I'd done. We always did end-of-the-year shows, and I had the privilege of getting to perform alongside some of my very first students, some of the kids who had been with me from the beginning. I'd seen them when they had barely been able to skate, and now here they were, showing their skills in front of plenty of people.

They came up to me and thanked me afterward, told me they'd miss me, and said they loved when I was their coach. If we're honest, I did definitely cry at that. Because when I started coaching, I thought making a difference was just an idle dream. But now I know that it was, and is, a reality that coaches can bring about.

But no matter how much I talk about these kids succeeding after being my students, I still firmly believe that they did much more for me than I ever did for them. Sure, I was their first teacher and helped them find their love of the ice. However, they changed me for the better.

Because of my students, I've learned the true power that kids have, and not just to disregard them because they're younger. So many of the kids I taught would frame things in ways I'd never thought of, and make observations that never crossed my mind.

Because of my students, I am more confident in myself and have shored up some of my weaknesses. Their honesty and their willingness to work with me helped me become a better teacher, and by extension, a better person.

And most importantly, because of my students, I have met young people that I know can help make the world a better place. I've met people who have passion, drive, determination, and who I know can do anything they put their minds to.

So to any parents of my students who read this, thank you. Thank you for raising some of the most incredible young people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Thank you for sacrificing your time and money to let your students pursue something beautiful, and thank you for letting me be a part of their lives.

And most of all, to any of my former students that might be reading this, you are amazing. I'm proud of every single thing you've done, and even though every day wasn't easy, spending time with you was the highlight of my day.

On some days I taught I was going through some really rough things, and you always made me feel better because you were there with a smile. You might think I'm the one who's taught you, but you've really shown me more than I could ever teach.

Thank you all, for everything that you have done.