I've Attended Pride On Opposite Sides Of The Country And This Is What I've Observed

No matter where you attend Pride, the community there deserves every minute of the celebration.

8
Google

It is officially Pride Month and the LBGTQ+ communities across the countries are all celebrating their love and their identities.

I had the opportunity this past weekend to attend Pride weekend in Dayton, Ohio. It was very fun, filled with so much joy and love. It was incredibly apparent that everyone who attended was so happy to be there, except for the unavoidable protesters that appear at every Pride parade.

Fortunately, I have also been able to attend San Diego, California's Pride weekend a few times and plan to attend again later on this summer.

The cool thing about being able to attend more than one Pride is that when you do, you can see the differences when it comes to how different LGBTA+ communities are growing. Every community is at a different pace, due to varying circumstances in that area.

From my point of view, Dayton is still a growing community, although according to Dayton community members, the city has come a long way. Just as all communities have done. It was amazing to see how proud the queer members of the community felt this past weekend because it proves that no matter how big, small or in-between the most important thing is that all community members feel happy, proud and safe.

The Pride weekends in San Diego are huge, packed with streets upon streets of people. The first time I went I was overwhelmed with the crowds and couldn't tell where I was half of the time. I soon learned that is what was to be expected when attending Pride in San Diego.

It's fun, overwhelming and intense, filled with tons of people of all ages, filled with food, drinks, families, couples - in plain terms, it's a weekend full of people of all races, ages and orientations being proud and happy with themselves and their loved ones.

When I look at the Dayton Pride, I see hundreds of people who are making history in their city and are enjoying the benefits of their hard work. It doesn't matter that Dayton Pride is smaller than San Diego Pride.

All communities are hard working, driven and compassionate members who strive to see their world become a better place, full of love and equality.

Whenever Dayton Pride gets as big as San Diego's, it'll be the perfect time for Dayton. And the members of the community should be proud of themselves, whether there are hundreds or thousands of people attending.