Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... Your Clothes

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... Your Clothes

5

Let’s face it. This is Tallahassee, home of the number one party school in the nation. Mandatory Makeout Mondays at Clyde’s and Thirsty Thursdays at The Standard are nothing new to you. Seeing girls wearing the uniform crop tops and high waisted shorts is expected, while guys are repping the casual, but classy, collared shirts. The next thing you know, you are in the real world and need to start wearing big kid clothes. What do you do? Buy yourself a whole new wardrobe? Wrong. Save yourself the time and money and figure out how to utilize what you already have.

What is appropriate attire to begin with? What you wear represents the company and is aimed to project a professional image. Ladies, low cut shirts that have seen "90's Night" at Standard are not acceptable for your summer internship, nor the workplace. But, the accessories that you pair it with are! A simple limitation to remember for jewelry in the workplace is to make sure there is no jingling or clinking. It serves as a distraction and it defeats the purpose. The watch you wear to Happy Hour at Pot’s and the earrings from Wine Down Wednesday are assets to your wardrobe when paired with work attire. There is no need to find “professional” accessories, just keep it simple and don’t let them take over the outfit.

Girls tend to go with a generic combination when going out in the cooler weather. This generally consists of a simple top or sweater, cardigan, leggings and a necklace. This is a great universal outfit that can be altered simply by replacing the cardigan and leggings with a pantsuit. For guys, dressing to impress is much more simple. The button down worn to Wine Down at Mint can easily be recycled and worn with suit pants.

Parameters should be followed before determining what is acceptable. The skin tight, open back formal dress is not appropriate. Being able to comfortably sit in public is a key guideline that should be followed when wearing a dress or skit. Maybe one of the dresses you wear to chapter could be paired with a blazer.  

Be smart about what to wear in the workplace, but be even smarter and utilize what you already own. This will save your wallet and you can still keep your style. It is not about what to buy, it is about using what you already own.