A guide for the perfect mobile testing process
News

This article will assist all testers with an overview of the best pointers to observe whilst performing mobile app testing.

211
Photo by Lucas Hoang on Unsplash

Testing the mobile apps efficiently and successfully will ensure their optimum performance on being released.

Mobile app automation testing is a crucial part of the entire lifecycle. Testing the mobile apps efficiently and successfully will ensure their optimum performance on being released. Here are the nine best tips to conduct mobile testing flawlessly.

Introduction

The majority of people nowadays opt for mobile applications due to the increasing popularity of mobile devices. The mobile device testing process is necessary to meet the demand for flawless apps that effectively fulfill the users' needs.

Mobile app automation testing is a crucial part of the entire lifecycle. However, developers often overlook it quite regularly due to all the effort and time taken to complete the whole cycle. Creating a reliable app needs to be tested at every stage. This article will serve as a stepwise guide to test mobile applications for making the best and most reliable apps.

Outlining the process

Before developers decide which test cases they will test manually or using a mobile automation tool, it is more intelligent to outline and list out all the instances requiring testing. A test plan for the mobile application can be created as follows:

• Listing all the test cases to be tested
  • Following up with a brief description of the intended tests to be run
  • Mentioning the anticipated results for the sprint.

Type of testing:

The following process involves deciding whether the mobile device testing will be performed manually or using mobile automation tools. While it is a tough choice to make, here are some pointers to decide when mobile app automation testing would be the best choice:

• If a use case is run regularly: If routine assessments need to be performed every day to check the basic functionality, automation is the best option. In the long term, automation of recurring tasks is profitable due to the amount of time saved and the reiteration of the potential errors that are avoided.
  • If a test has a predictable result: Test automation is the preferred choice for any conditional testing (for example: "if a person clicks this button, then the tab will open"). When the test result can be predicted, the developer does not need to screen the same outcomes actively and oversee testing.
  • Automating tests on device fragmentation: There are many devices and, subsequently, screen dimensions. Many tests are required to ensure the app's compatibility with such an array of hardware. Conducting such a notable deal of manual testing is difficult, so writing manual tests for different screen dimensions and operating systems is the better choice.

It should be noted that when smaller tests are automated, they are more accessible and more efficient. For example, automated testing can save a great deal of time. However, manual testing should be conducted while testing the system consecutively.

Preparation of test cases

This step involves defining the cases for which the tests will be written. There are two ways to achieve this:

I. Testing based on requirement: The performance of some specific app features is tested.

II. Testing based on the business scenario: The assessment is conducted from a business point of view.

The definition of the test cases for mobile applications is dependent on the type of tests that need to be performed. All the application tests can be classified into two broad categories: functional and non-functional.

Functional Testing Types

Non-functional testing types

• Unit testing
  • Security testing
  • Integration testing
  • Stress testing
  • System testing
  • Volume testing
  • Interface testing
  • Performance testing
  • Regression testing
  • Load testing
  • Reliability testing

• Usability testing

• Compliance testing

• Localization testing

Manual testing

Some developers prefer mobile app automation testing over the manual process. But in the case of the Agile testing framework, it is advocated to combine both manual and mobile app automation testing.

When a developer starts the testing process in line with the mobile app test plan, it is recommended to start with exploratory manual testing. Another reason to start it, in the beginning, is that it does not need any initial investments. Steady logs of all of the evaluation sessions should be maintained. If some testers work concurrently, manual test sessions can be conducted together to save time for the further stages.

Automated testing

After some manual tests have been performed, the outcome patterns and running tests' frequency are determined. Mobile app automation testing can be considered for the most predictable cases. Automation is standard for performance, load, stress, or spike testing.

In the case of mobile app automation testing, the selection of the right mobile automation tool is indispensable. The following factors should be considered while looking for the proper tool amidst the many available alternatives.

• The testing tool should be compatible with a wide variety of platforms:

The app needs to be tested for both Android and iOS. Tests should be run for different programming languages like C#, .NET, etc. Being restrained by testing tools could curb the whole testing project, so it is better to consider the availability of a much wider variety of platforms.

• It should be rich with features:

It is convenient for developers to have a tool to support both the recording and playback of tests.

• Tests are reusable and resistant to change:

Tools that permit developers to create reusable and low-maintenance tests are tremendously helpful, as much time can be saved while testing new projects.

Usability and beta testing

It is commonly assumed that beta testing can substitute for usability testing, as they both point to the same issues. However, it is highly recommended to perform both.

• A sprint can be started with usability testing. During the design stage, exposure from actual customers is distinctly beneficial. With a usability test, developers showcase the potential functions and finally narrow down the selections to the features that were the most appreciated by the users.
  • Beta testing is better when the product is ready, and feedback on the complete system is required before the launch. Similar to usability testing, beta testing allows the developers to understand which of the features are needed by the users, which is helpful while deciding the future course of action for the app.

Hence, both usability and beta testing need to be run. However, the difference is that usability testing is primarily used to indicate if a feature can perform. In contrast, beta testing provides the developer with an understanding of whether customers will be using a particular part of the app frequently or not.

Performance testing

After each feature's performance has been tested, the overall performance is assessed. This is the point where performance testing is required - it facilitates the assessment of the scalability, speed, and stability in a high quantity of traffic. It evaluates the app for errors or discrepancies in the system. The capabilities of the application to be provided and the desired use cases, and the favorable conditions in which the system would work are the essential criteria to be determined before starting performance testing.

While performance trying out does not typically come till later in the entire testing framework, beginning it early on and running performance testing sprints in conjunction with unit testing is also a powerful method. To judge the efficiency of performance testing, realistic benchmarks are essential. They help in understanding how the app will perform under real world conditions.

Security and compliance testing

Numerous data security guidelines need to be fulfilled by any mobile app. Depending on the features, different kinds of data security standards should be implemented. The most common procedures are:

• PCI DSS – PCI DSS stands for Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, the set of data security standards for mobile apps that accept payments.
  • HIPAA – HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, which are the security practices for mobile healthcare apps that collect, save, or process medical data.
  • FFIEC – FFIEC stands for Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, which are guidelines that demand the installation of control and security by banking and financial institutions to protect sensitive financial records.

When security testing is conducted, it is crucial to take note of the industry standards and to translate those guidelines into realistic measures. A security tester must also be prepared to deal with exceptions and unpredictable conditions. Each safety practice must be documented carefully in case of reviews by controlling bodies.

Final version release

After the whole project is executed, testers run an end-to-end testing sprint to ensure that the app performs appropriately on both the back-end and the server level and is ready to be uploaded. If no significant issues are identified, the developers release the app to the various app stores. In case of any troubles in the app, they get rectified, and the end-to-end testing process is reiterated.

Summary

Mobile application testing is a vital process of its entire life cycle. Testing the mobile apps efficiently and successfully will ensure their optimum performance on being released. This article will assist all testers with an overview of the best pointers to observe whilst performing mobile app testing.