Re-Do Your Room On A Budget

Re-Do Your Room On A Budget

You don't have to break the bank to re-do your favorite place to be

8
Re-Do Your Room On A Budget
Julie Myers

The amount of times that you go through style changes in your lifetime is too many to count. Can you imagine still having the same bedroom decorations that you did when you were a kid? The multiple posters on the walls that you bought at your school's book fairs, the pages of magazines that you tore out with your favorite celebrities on them, and the extremely odd colored walls are surely things that you have grown out of. However, redoing your entire room is costly, and most of the time not very affordable. If you want to redo your room on a budget, here are some tips to get you started.

1. Do it gradually

Although you can buy in bulk, it wouldn't be ideal to drop a ton of money at one time. At least, it wouldn't be for me. It's something I can't afford as a college student. In that case, try to buy a few bigger items slowly at first, then add little items as you go.

2. If you like it, get it 

My sister always told me that if you like an item in the store and no matter how many times you've walked around the store convincing yourself you don't need it you still left look at it again when you returned, just get it. If you can't stop thinking about it, get it. Even if it doesn't match the theme you're going for, you'll find a way to make it fit.

3. Find your theme

Pick a theme and try to stick with it. Normally the theme involves colors, so pick your primary colors and an accent color. My room at school right now is mostly neutral colors (mostly white with black and cream) and red and green accents. I wanted an earthy feel, so those colors were my best option. If you can, buy your major pieces of furniture in the same color. Since they're all really large pieces, it'll be obvious if they aren't similar colors which might throw off your theme.

4. Try to DIY

A lot of times you already have all the items that you need to redesign your room and you don't actually have to go out and buy something entirely new. If you have an old desk that doesn't fit your new color scheme, paint it! If your walls don't match, paint them! If you have a small decoration that you'd love to have but it's too expensive to buy for something so simple, create it on your own! A lot of the time doing it yourself is much less costly than buying it made, even if you have to purchase all the materials to make it.

5. Use websites

Amazon and Wish are two websites that can most definitely get you what you want and get it cheap so you don't break the bank. I have gotten so many things off of Wish that would cost me a good chunk of change to buy in-store that only cost me the shipping to get. Try to find cheaper alternatives. Look through Walmart. Even look in your local stores for something original and cheaper. However, make sure it is still decent quality if it is a big or important piece to you. You want to make sure it will still last you a while so you don't have to constantly buy new ones.

6. Sell the old stuff you don't want anymore

There could be items in your room that someone else may like. Post some listings to get some extra cash for the things you'd like to buy in the future. You not only get rid of old items you don't want or need, but you also get cash to get what you do. It's a win-win!

Hopefully, this helped some so that you can get the new style you're looking for. My final tip is to take lots of before and after pictures. You'll be proud to see all your progress once you get to the end result!