How to be a Redbird, not a dead bird
Education

How to be a Redbird, not a dead bird

The clumsy college student's guide to survive without falling flat on your face

27
http://www.pdalaw.co.uk/personal-injury/

You're running late for your 3 p.m. lecture halfway across campus from your apartment. You slide your backpack over your shoulders on the way out the door, and the mission begins. You pass a friend in the hallway, turn around to say hello, then BAM! You've walked into the wall at the end of the hallway at full speed... that will leave a bruise tomorrow, or in my case, a broken nose.

Surviving four years at Illinois State is not easy by any means, being clumsy adds many bumps in the road. Trips to the hospital are tedious, expensive, and can easily be avoided with the help from these tips.

Get some sleep

Catch more z's like this little one

https://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/issues/5-sleep-through-the-night-strategies/

The recommended 8 hours of sleep every night is shown to help improve balance. Losing sleep slows your reaction time and could be detrimental in the event of an accident. Plus, if you're sipping on coffee all day, you'll have a better chance of spilling it on yourself or someone else!

Keep your head on a swivel

Don't be like her, stay alert

We've been taught to look both ways before crossing the street, but clumsy people need to be prepared in any situation. This implies for hallways, sidewalks, communal bathrooms, you name it. Walls catch you by surprise, icy commutes are inevitable, and don't even get me started on doors. If you're alert and prepared, you'll be ready for whatever life throws your way.

Exercise

50 crunches a day will keep the clumsiness away!

https://www.popworkouts.com/upper-body-crunches/

Your core is the control center of the muscles in your body. Strengthening your body, primarily your core will help reduce risk of injuries in accidents. A simple, daily ab workout before bed puts you at an advantage during your next klutz moment. College athletes train their cores to lower the risk of sprains and strains during games, and for non-athletic students life is their game.

Take a breath

https://www.freegreatpicture.com/healthy-men/relaxed-leisure-men-52158

Stress during the day can be good for productivity and increasing your situational awareness, but too much stress leads to slower processing. Unhealthy amounts can actually negatively impact your peripheral vision, which is the last thing a clumsy person needs. Over-stressing can cause you to think strictly about your stressors and you may lose focus on your surroundings, which can put you in danger.

Train your brain

If you're brain is moving a mile a minute, you will too

https://www.simplek12.com/communication-and-collaboration/boost-students-thinking/attachment/boost-student-thinking-thinking-process-woman-thinking-lightbulb-thinking/

Studies show that people who possess a strong memory have faster reaction times and are less clumsy. By being less forgetful, you are more aware of your surroundings. Downloading a "brain games" app can not only help boost your memory, but coordination as well; and keep you out of accidents.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself

Confidence is key to overcoming clumsiness

https://www.hinsdaledentistry.com/blog/confident-in-your-smile-try-this-test/

Clumsy people tend to have low self-esteem due to their frequent embarrassment. Though not everyone is hard on themselves, getting into accidents frequently can do a lot to a person, especially a student under the immense stressors of college life. Remember to take time for yourself and do things that make you happy, just stay safe while doing so!

Accidents are unpredictable, but these tips will improve your clumsiness over time. The little changes you make in your life will have a big impact to make you healthier, happier, and keep you out of trouble.