5 Major Red Flags To Watch Out For In Any Relationship

How you can avoid that toxic friend or significant other.

152

Here's the thing... We all have our own special pet peeves and character dislikes that make it hard to get a good vibe from that one guy in your friend group who gives you the heebie-jeebies, but sometimes it's hard to word. Whether you're in a social, romantic, or friendly environment, there are certain characteristics and behaviors that really, without a doubt, should have you double checking to see if this person really has the best interest in your relationship.

1. Manners are foreign to them.

If this friend or significant other seems to have difficulty in saying please or thank you, this might be a bigger red flag than you think. If they mistreat people on a day to day basis, whether it be your server in a local restaurant or their mother, take a step back.

The reason for this, as well as many other examples of subtly violating the human conduct code, is that it shows that common decency is something that takes the back seat for this friend. Often times, the way we treat others on a day to day basis, not just those we're around a lot, go to show our own standards for how we respect others.

So don't be this person. Say thanks to your mom for letting you use her car, tip the server when they bring you your check because you know they did their best-- because that truly is what everyone's trying to do. The most basic form of human social interaction is decency, and how we treat each other-- not on a personal level but on a surface level as well.

2. Your family doesn't like them.

My mom always framed this in the perfect way-- "It's not that they did anything specific, I just never felt a level of comfort with you being with them."

Whether it be their attitude or the way they treated you over the years, parents normally have the best perspective on a true friend. While many of us know to be polite and to not blatantly influence your friends to do something they wouldn't normally for the worse, the real perspective of a parent comes over the years.

Who was the friend who drove to pick you up while the rest of your friends had already ditched you for the high school football game? Who was the friend who came over when you had your heart broken? These are the real things families pick up on, and as the people who purely want the best for you, trust their instincts.

3. They hate animals.

This is another one that screams bad vibes. If the person just hates any furry friend, you're doing something wrong. It's one thing to hate snakes or insects, but if you're tripping over every living creature, maybe you need to learn some respect for the planet you live on and share.

4. The "Me" Show.

Face it, we all love that friend with ongoing drama and crazy stories, but when your mental health and life takes a second seat to this friend, that might be a warning sign. Any friend who lets their emotions dictate the relationship is a toxic warning from the start. If the friend treats you a certain way with one circle of friends and a different way with another, this may be another clue.

Just know that this friend will always place you in harm's way for their emotions and their drama and that they are willing to step on you, your feelings, and your relationship in order to make themselves feel better-- and if they can never admit to being wrong and are always playing the victim, then maybe there's a warning there.

There's a famous quote for this one: "Don't set yourself on fire for those who stay to watch you burn." You owe it to yourself to be your own priority.

5. They're awkwardly rude to their parents.

If any of your friends are willing to scream at their parents, tell them to shut up, or other behaviors that make you feel awkward and disgusted at the same time, this might be another warning. Keep in mind, I know that not all parental relationships are good with their children, and I get that, however, that would be the gray area for this.

I'm talking those kids who have grown up privileged their whole life, in a healthy home and constantly seem to rip at their parents who work hard to provide for their family. And I'm not talking like people who get into fights with their parents (we all do), I'm talking about that friend who will be straight up rude to their mom right in front of you.

If this person has no problem disrespecting and manipulating the person who gave them life, what is stopping them from mistreating you? Plus we go back to that whole human decency thing.

In reality, there are a million warning signs that you'll come face-to-face with throughout your life, and often, you'll have to decide what those are for yourself. While I can't name all of them, these are mine.

If you're able to put yourself on guard when maybe not one, but three or four of these come up, you might be saving yourself from a toxic relationship that can do real damage to you and your own self-image. The first step to any negative thing in life is learning to prevent it, and being able to figure out what you're comfortable with and trust can aid in this process. Good luck!