How To Get Through Recruitment

How To Get Through Recruitment

9
How To Get Through Recruitment

Recruitment. We all go through it. We all complain about it. We all know that our best friends will result from it, and that’s why we do it.  

Many of our complaints are focused on the negative aspects of recruitment and we forget that, even though it’s exhausting, recruitment is a time when you get to hang out with your best friends non-stop for a whole week while hand picking the next generation of your sorority!

Let’s take a moment to point out why you should keep on wearing your smile after you Instagram that picture of you and your sisters during Open House. The following complaints, all too often, point out the spilled milk (or Starbucks vanilla latte), but there are so many ways to still imagine the glass half full, instead of empty. 

1. It’s the first day and you’re already tired after the first party because you woke up early to look absolutely perfect for your PNMs. You can’t even believe there are four more days of redundant conversations and awkward moments, but you have to remember that you’re surrounded by your favorite people! It may seem like you have a long way to go, but keep in mind that you’re recruiting the future of your sorority. This is exciting and every moment counts! In the grand scheme of things, it’s going to be way worth the temporary struggle to stay awake and alert when you have a totally cool pledge class once it's over.      

2. We are in Charleston. It is hot.  And stuffing all these girls into one tiny house doesn’t make the situation any cooler. There’s really nothing I can say to counter argue this because it's actually hot as Hades but, trust me, you’ll live.      

3. It’s coming to the end of the day, and your smile feels so forced that you’re not even sure if your muscles can hold it in place for one more minute. You’ve given your face such a workout that you know it will actually feel sore tomorrow. Your jaw even feels like it could use some WD40. It’s not over yet. You still have to sing that song that you always mess up, and look like an idiot on, at least two more times while clapping your hands like a circus monkey. Just remember that the next girl who comes into the house could be your rush crush or your sorority's future president! So push through the pain and picture all the awesome girls you will call sisters, come bid day! 

4. Possibly the most frustrating thing about recruitment is that it’s the first time all of your girls are back in town, and you’re forbidden to go out with them! At first glance, it's a huge bummer, but this week is a great time to spend quality movie nights in with your sisters, recuperate from the long days, and listen to everyone’s exciting summer stories. But, if we’re being real, probably half of you are going out. 

It’s no secret that recruitment is a long, brutal process for all involved, but we can’t overlook the fun parts, and the reasons why we do it. Recruitment is a process that gives PNMs the chance to connect with the perfect group of girls, for them. We have the responsibility to be our best selves while both parties make a decision that could transform both our lives! Recruitment is special, so give it the attention it deserves, and you may surprise yourself about how much fun you will have!