Recruitment Advice for PNMs

Recruitment Advice for PNMs

237

First, "PNM" stands for potential new member which means if you are going through recruitment, then you are a PNM. That is the first of many acronyms you will learn if you join a sorority. 

As a rising senior, I have gone through recruitment once, been on the other side of recruitment twice and even served as the recruitment chair for my sorority, so I feel like I know a lot about recruitment. I am here to give all you precious little PNMs the best advice I can give you for the stressful, hectic, amazing experience that is sorority recruitment. 

First impressions are so very important especially during recruitment when you have a limited amount of time for a chapter to get to know you and for you to get to know a chapter. The first day you will only be in each house for 15 minutes and possibly talking to some members for less than that, but do not freak out! The number one piece of advice I can give you is CHILL OUT. Believe me, the girls in the houses are just as nervous as you. Everything will go much more smoothly when you just stop and take a deep breath every once in a while. Here are just a few more tips to help you get through the week:

1. Shake my darn hand! Don't be dainty and limp like you're a little princess. Show me you mean business and are actually excited to see me and talk with me. It's one of the first things you will do when you sit down to talk to a girl and like I said, first impressions are the most important.

2. Cool it with the Lilly! There really is no reason to wear something from Lilly Pulitzer every. single. round. First of all, learn to better manage your money because that's just redic, second of all it just shows us you are trying way too hard. And no one likes a try hard. Honestly if you think we actually judge you based on whether your dress was from Lilly or not then I'm not sure you fully grasp what a sorority is truly about. We are more worried about what comes out of your mouth than what you put on your body that morning. And if someone really is judging you for not wearing a certain brand of clothing, do you really think you want to be a part of that sisterhood? 

3. Practice your resting face. Those of you with the slightly unfortunate problem of resting b*tch face should listen up. It's not very natural for someone to have a huge smile plastered on their face for a week straight. There is a way to still look nice and inviting without getting a cramp in your cheeks. This is where a nice resting face will come in handy. You do not have to smile ear to ear and show your teeth, but just make sure you are not frowning. Widen your eyes just a little like you're interested, but not too much! This is where practicing in front of the mirror will help because not many will want to talk to someone who looks like crazy eyes from OITNB. 

4. Do not listen to anyone or anything but your heart! This will be YOUR sorority for the next four years and the rest of your life! Not your roommate's or your best friend's or your boyfriend's or your brother's or your mom's or your grandmother's, etc. so don't let them make the decision for you. You need to join where YOU feel YOU best fit in. Don't listen to online ranking systems either. Please don't think you and your best friend or roommate have to join the same sorority. I promise you will make a whole new group of friends in your chapter and as a bonus you'll gain a whole other group from your friend's sorority! My roommate and I did not join the same chapter as freshman, and we are still just as close and we are living together again as seniors. 

Again, do not freak out! You will end up where you are supposed to be. This is really corny, but seriously just follow your heart! Everything has a way of working itself out eventually. Good luck and Go Vols!