5 Things I Would Recommend If You've Sprained Your Ankle

I sprained my ankle two weeks ago, so my mobility was really limited; here's what I did while getting some crucial healing time in.

38
Photo by Amy Oberholtzer

**Note: Please do not use this instead of professional medical advice. This is my own advice based on my own experience with a sprained ankle. If you do not know if your ankle is sprained or broken, seek out a medical professional.

1. Naps.

Not taken during my nap, but about five minutes before I fell asleep on the couch.

Photo by Amy Oberholtzer

More sleep in general is good for your body so you can maximize healing time while you rest.

2. Adhere to your doctor, physician, or healthcare provider's instructions.

I have a brace similar to this one; it helps support my ankle and offer stability when I walk.

Better Braces

I was told to keep my ankle elevated, wrapped, and to take pain medication if needed the first few days. After that, I was required to wear an ankle support brace until it felt better.

3. Don't overdo it on stairs.

My fall was not as dramatic as this man's... but I would love to see the security footage of it.

Photographic Assignments

I actually sprained my ankle falling down stairs, so I took it really slowly on the stairs. I even took ramps when I saw them.

4. Wear supportive shoes.

Sneaker Politics

I have been wearing sneakers for a couple of weeks now (mostly because I can fit my brace in the shoe), but I might continue to wear them just because they're comfortable and supportive. Best of both worlds.

5. Avoid walking long distances, if possible.

Popsugar Fitness

I totally understand if your classes or your work requires you to be standing or walking far distances, but try your best to stay off your ankle. You don't want to aggravate, or worse, re-injure your ankle.